CHAPTER THIRTY - FIVE: WHAT HAPPENS NOW

Zion

I sat on the floor next to the bed thinking of absolutely nothing. My ears were ringing and I think I needed my meds, but I couldn't get myself up to go outside. Mr Thompson brought me in and said I could stay in the room he gave me. It was the one right next to Kayla's, but I knew she wasn't there.

Sitting here in misery made me wish. It was easier to just open the door and apologize to her. I knew she would not even ever speak to me again, and I didn't deserve to be at her house right now. Once again, I was running away from my problems, because running was the only thing I knew how to do right now.

My brain couldn't process what was going on. But it was more like I refused to process it. I refuse to believe that my love was a lie to give myself a chance I was willing to give everything up. It can't be a joke.

However, I couldn't get the image of Emma kissing my dad out of my head. I had so many questions that faded into my empty head. Was she sleeping with my dad? She mentioned my dad hired her to spy on me, so the payment was sex. I assumed she would've received a hefty sum from my dad enough to pay her relative hospital bills. But what if there was no relative? What if this whole thing has just been one big lie?

"Zion," a knock on the door came.

Mr Thompson had probably left for his court hearing, so Mrs Sawyer was at the door. She looked terrified when she saw me last night and was eager to help me feel better. I missed her motherly care, but I wanted to be alone, so I locked myself in.

"You've been in there for hours. Come and eat something," she pleaded.

I hugged my knees tightly, fighting the urge to cry. Why should I cry for them? They deceived me. I couldn't open the door. I couldn't let anyone see me like this. Evans probably found me but he has school today so I knew he would t be here. But I needed my friends. I needed them to tell me it wasn't my fault and that I would be alright.

"Zion, open up it's me,"

My head lifted at the sound of her voice. Was I hearing things? How could she be here? Didn't she leave for New York? Was that also a lie to keep me from looking for her? I wondered if I was being tricked, but even if I was, I heard Kayla's voice and she was calling to me to open the door.

"Zion, it's Kayla. Look, I know you're confused and scared, but allow us to be there for you. You can't pretend you're not in pain Zion,"

It was definitely Kayla. I pushed my body up to my feet and limped for the door. Every muscle movement was difficult but I had to see her. As I opened the door and saw her standing in front of me dressed in all black and her hair a little rough. It was like she ran to me. Did she sense it? Did she know how much I needed her?

I pulled her into my chest and squeezed tight.

"Where have you been?" I muttered. "I've been waiting for you,"

After all this time, I was holding her. The scent of her perfume filled my senses. How much did I miss her? Her aura and her essence soothed me. She was right, I was hurting. I was in pain from having my heart broken.

"Kay," I forced out. "What did I do wrong?" I asked.

I tried to be the perfect boyfriend, but it didn't mean anything to her. She said I was her mission, and she fell in love with me, but even that was a lie. If she loved me, why was she with him? I sobbed as I held on to her.

"You did nothing wrong Zion." She told me. "I promise you'll never have to see ever again,"

I opened my eyes and wiped the tears from my face. Mrs Sawyer smiled at me and offered me a glass of milk. Evans was there too. Why didn't he go to school? Once again, I was inconveniencing my friends.