13 - Now, I'm looking forward to this.

We entered our room, and I flopped against the closed door. I felt like I should apologize for the insane drama but wasn't sure what to say.

Nate studied me for a second. "Briar's the worst. I didn't want to overstep down there, but it was hard. What the hell is Sawyer's deal?"

He moved closer and pulled me into a tight hug. "I'm with Joby. I hated him, then I felt bad for him, but I still kinda need to hit him. Are you alright?"

I grumbled wordlessly and inhaled his cologne, relaxing against my friend.

"Should I have done something?"

"No. That was so crazy nobody knew what to do, but it was nice having someone there that had my back."

His chuckle rumbled against my ear. "I wasn't the only one. Joby was about to lose it on Sawyer if he hadn't left."

"Really?" I peeked up at Nate.

"Oh, yeah, and I wouldn't have stopped him."

I turned to collect my pajamas. "Me either. It's probably better not to be violent though, us being adults and all. Can I take the bathroom first?"

"Sure, go ahead. I'll change out here."

Once alone, I changed into my stretchy lounge pants, a thin sweatshirt, and my fuzzy slippers—I needed all the comfort I could get. Taking my time, I washed away my makeup—let Mother tsk at my appearance.

As I brushed my hair, I thought of her surprised reaction. She said she knew none of the rumors were true, but her expression disagreed. Somehow, Mother's doubt bothered me more than Briar admitting she'd started the rumors. Although I'd always suspected it was her, it seemed better not to dwell on it since we still had to be family.

A soft knock, then Nate said, "It's been a while. Are you okay?"

"Sorry." I straightened the counter and opened the door.

"Don't be. I'm just making sure you're not upset."

Nate was already changed into blue and gray pj bottoms and a t-shirt. I checked the time, and found that I'd been staring at myself for twenty minutes. "I zoned out."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Nah." I shook my head, but my eyes burned. "I couldn't tell if Mother believed those rumors or not. Was I such an embarrassment that she didn't even want to ask for the truth?"

"Babe." Nate wrapped me in another warm hug. "I don't like to talk smack about anyone's mom, but she should've done better for you. It's a wonder you turned into this cool, caring person after being raised with her warped priorities."

"If I ever get to have kids, I'll be so supportive of everything they do they'll be sick of me."

"You'd be an awesome mom, and if you want kids, I'm sure you'll have some." He slid back. "Are you ready for Home Alone?"

"I guess, but I'm mostly ready for Granny's chocolate pie."

"Yum, me too. I love chocolate pie."

"She makes hers from scratch and it even has meringue on top."

Nate gasped and did a somersault across the bed in his rush to the door. 

I snickered at his silliness. "You're a nut."

***

In the kitchen, Joby and Granny had desserts spread out on the counter—chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, banana pudding, and a gingerbread bundt cake.