xxiii

AS HE GAZED AT THE TOWERING walls smothered in green vines and ivy, he thought back to all that he'd accomplished and went through in the span of the 4 months he'd been there

When the memories began and the things he's lost. The day Nick descended in the box, the day he met Newt—Minho, Mo. The day he sacrificed himself for a total stranger in a effort of self doubt.

That scar still prevails, the one slashed across his stomach—one that pulsed and fresh blood spilled from it the farther they ran. It aches, and he winced at every step. It burned from the core of his abdomen outwards, leaving him trembling in an effort to calm himself.

"Atlas, are you okay?" Newt asks, his own injury bringing himself closer to the back of the group. Atlas nodded through clenched teeth.

"I'll be alright." He says, even as Newt looked at him in disbelief. Eventually they came to an abrupt stop, flattening themselves against the wall. Atlas was glad for the quick reprieve, despite Chuck leaning forward and asking "is there a griever?" He asks, and Thomas nods grimly. He shakes his head.

"We need to pursue it. Not everybody is going to survive." He says, and Atlas nods.

"Chuck, take this. Stay behind us." Thomas says, giving Chuck the key.

"Don't worry, just stay with me." Teresa says, pulling her up and back into a ponytail. Atlas turns to Mo, putting his hands on his shoulders.

"Go with them, and do not stray." He says, tightening his grip. Mo, with his wide brown eyes skittering towards Teresa and Chuck. Atlas nods at her, before turning.

"Ready?" Thomas asks, slamming the butt of his spear on the ground. the group nods uncertainly, but there's no time for debate, because then Thomas is turning and yelling into the open air.

They move into battle with short, quick steps. Spears are pushed out. The griever shrieks in front of them and whips through the air. It draws nearer as the spears are standing at ready. They push toward, blocking it. Teresa, Mo, and Chuck all skitter around it.

"Push in!" Thomas yells, as the spears draw closer to it. Minho bellows out "watch the tail!" as it cuts through the air. It whips and grabs a boy, hauling him off the edge. He shrieks as he's thrown over.

Teresa beneath it slices at its arm. Short, quick thrusts into it. It rears it's ugly body back. The key falls. Atlas watches, in a sick sort of slow motion, land with a clutter behind it.

"The key!" Chuck says, scrambling up. Teresa gets up after him. "Chuck!"

"Watch the edge!" He shouts, his voice raw. Chuck scrambles over, but he has no more time to pay attention as the boys around him gain the upper hand. They all thrust their spears at it.

"Cmon, Keep pushing!"

"Over the edge!"

Voices muddle together as they successfully manage to send it over, watching it tumble into the dark abyss below. They all stand and catch their breath, but their troubles are soon enhanced as two more grievers crawl up and over the edge.