Chapter 3: The meeting

Brooklyn's POV:

I had finished my homework 20 minutes ago and there was still 15 minutes or so left of practice.

I decided to find a spot to meet Ronni.

When I got to the football field I could hear them practicing.

'Sounds like they're having fun.' I thought and smiled.

I picked a spot by the bleachers and sat on the grass.

I leaned back lifting my face toward the sun.

As bad as today had been maybe it would end okay.

I must have dozed off  because the next thing I knew I heard whistles and yelling.

I guessed practice was over.

Soon I'll be able to decide if I was being stupid or not.

Ronni's POV:

Practice was over and the team trudged to the locker room.

"I'm going to hit the showers. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone." I told Petey.

"Man, how can I do anything stupid if you're in the showers?" He laughs and playfully shoved me.

I shower quickly and wrap a towel around myself and head to my locker.

"Hey sunshine!" Someone called out.

I turn around and see Rev and Big Blue walking toward me.

"Petey told us you were talking to a girl." Blue wiggled his eyebrows.

I sighed.

"And like I told Petey, it was nothing. I met a classmate and we talked. It's not a crime."

Rev gave me a pointed look.

"Why are you so defensive about it if it's nothing?"

I turned back to my locker and started getting dressed.

"Not defensive Rev,  just annoyed that everyone keeps interrogating me."

I turned back to him and pulled my shirt on.

"So if you don't have anymore questions I'm going to go." 

I sat on a bench and pulled on my shoes.

Rev and Blue were still staring at me. Gerry and Petey now were too.

"Well," I put my hands on my knees, "it looks like there's no more questions. I'm off then."

I got up, grabbed my things, and left.

...........................................................................

Brooklyn hadn't told me where she would be, so I'd have to go around the whole field.

I didn't have to go too far because on the far side of the field I saw her, face tilted towards the sun.

'She looks beautiful.' I thought.

I walked over to her.

"Hey." I said trying not to startle her.

She opened her eyes and smiled.

"Hi. How was practice?"

She patted the ground next to her and I sat down.

"It was good. Lots of drills. But with coach Boone that's not really a surprise."

"He tough on you guys huh?"

"He wants perfection and won't stop until he gets it."

She nods.

"Well... I wasn't sure if you'd actually come so I didn't plan anything to talk about." Brooklyn said sheepishly.

I felt badly she had second thoughts about me coming. But hopefully because I came she wouldn't have to worry anymore.

"We could just talk about ourselves." I suggested.

"Alright. Umm.. I was born in North Carolina and my parents moved us here when I was 6."

"I'm from California and moved here a few weeks ago."

"Really? What's it like in California?" She had a curious look on her face.

I smile and start telling her about growing up in California.