Chapter 4: Story time

Brooklyn's POV:

I watched Ronni carefully as he told me about California. His face lit up and he was smiling the entire time.

It kind of gave me a funny feeling in my chest. I ignored it.

"And...." Ronni looked at me. "Am I boring you?"

"No! Not at all. I was just trying to imagine everything you were telling me."

He smiled.

"Well enough about me. Your turn."

"Um well I have a dog and two younger siblings. My mother is big on gardening and my dad has taught all of the kids how to play baseball."

I look down. I felt a little embarrassed.

Ronni must have noticed because he gently lifted my head back up.

"That's really cool Brook." He smiled softly.

"You think so?"

"Hell yeah. My mom can't keep any plant alive and my dad doesn't even like baseball. I don't have a pet or siblings. It's pretty boring."

I laugh.

"Sibling are a pain most of the time. Always snooping and getting on your nerves." I roll my eyes.

"Sounds just like the guys on the team."

"Yeah." I chuckle. "Hey, umm.... You know Julius right?"

"Yeah. He's a great guy."

"Well can you do me a favor and not tell him. That you know me, I mean."

He looks confused.

"Why not?"

"Well Julius treats me like his little sister and doesn't let anyone near me. Not unless he approves of them anyway. And I don't think Julius would like his teammate hanging out with me..."

"Oh. Okay, yeah. We'll keep this a secret."

I bite my lip.

"Thank you." I whisper.

He just nods and leans back looking up at the sky.

Ronni's POV:

So Julius was Brooklyn's 'protector'. She didn't seem too happy about it.

I wasn't sure what to say now. I had promised to keep meeting a secret. Now what?

"So.... Are you any good with history?" I asked.

She looked at me with a slight smile.

"I think so, yeah."

"Do you think you could help me?"

"If you really want me to I can."

I nod.

"Yes please. I'm not any good at it."

"Alright then." She pulls out her history book. "Let's start right now. Give you a head start."

I look at her surprised. I hadn't expected her to help me now.

"Okay..." I pull out my book too.

We started at the beginning and got through chapter 3 before I asked to stop.

"Please can we stop? I feel like my head is going to explode."

"Alright we can stop. But you have to be consistent with your studies. So don't go home and forget everything we talked about."

"I can't take more information in today." I complain.

"Just review what we went over and you'll be fine."