Chapter 7: Past, Present and.....

Ronni's POV:

The one chance I had to hang out with Brooklyn, and let Julius see I was okay for her to hang out with, and I blew it. 

It threw me off my game the whole day. The guys noticed it at practice, coach too.

"Hey, son, what's going on with you today?" Coach Yoast asked as he pulled me aside.

"Nothin' coach. Sorry." I hang my head.

"Are you sure? I want you to know you can trust me and tell me anything you need to."

I smiled at Yoast.

"Thank you sir. There might be something..." I trail off. "Umm you see there's... family issues at home and it's been hard."

That wasn't a lie. Ever since my dad got home the other night everything has been off at home.

"I'm sorry Ronni. I know how hard that can be." Coach gives my shoulder a squeeze.

I nod.

"Sunshine! What you doing over there man?" Blue yells across the field.

I look at Yoast for permission to go. He nods and pats my back.

"Nothin'!" I yell back running over.

Gerry's POV:

Sunshine did terrible at practice. He's usually is good and up for anything.

After practice I went to talk to him.

"Hey man." I say leaning against the wall.

"Hey." He doesn't look at me.

"What's up? Is something wrong?"

"Nah man. Just tired." He half smiles. "Anyway, you up for dinner tonight? Petey, Alan and I are going."

I study his face.

"Sure. I'll come."

"Great. Mama J's at 6."

He pats my shoulder and walks away.

I wasn't convinced nothing happened. But I was going to find out.

Ronni's POV:

When I got home the house was silent. I didn't want to be around to find out why so I went to my room and locked the door.

I put my bag down in front of it and sink to the floor.

~ flashback ~

I got to setting the table.

I heard my dad storm in.

"Uh oh. Something is very wrong." I whispered. 

He walked straight into the kitchen and started arguing with my mom in hushed tones.

I couldn't hear anything they said but I know they were both very angry.

"How-" My dad yelled but my mom quickly hushed him.

I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. My parents never argued and never yelled at each other.

I stepped closer to the kitchen. I could just make out a word here and there, but I had heard enough.

I quickly go to my room and lock myself in. My hands were slightly shaking. I went to my bathroom and locked myself in there too.

I looked in the mirror.

"Mom and dad..." I whispered.

Tears sting my eyes and I lower myself onto the floor.

"Mom and dad are... are fighting... about-"
Tears start to fall. "About... them. Their marriage."

I start to sob. I try to be as quiet as I can, mom and dad can't know that I know.

I heard a door slam.

I do my best to stop crying.

With shaky breath I stand up and rinse my face.

I look back at the mirror. My eyes and nose were red from crying and my face was dripping wet.

I grab a towel and dry my face.

"If anyone asks I washed my face and got soap in my eyes." I tell myself as I open the bathroom door.

I walk to my room door and put my ear to it.

I didn't hear yelling, whispering or crying so I opened the door and made my way back to the dinning room.

~ present ~

I still couldn't process it fully. My parents had always been the ideal couple. Always working trough things together, never went to bed angry and they had always trusted each other fully.

But now...

"Stop it!" I tell myself sternly. "You can't do this now. Worry about it if mom or dad tells you about it. You don't know any of this."

I stayed on the floor and spaced out.

"I can't do this." I whisper.