CHAPTER 42: The Beginning of the End [Part 1]

Previously, in the "Gate: Thus the Sorcerous Kingdom Fought There":

Ainz, accompanied by Albedo, Cocytus, and Auriel, visited the Sacred City of Gods, where eleven from the twelve main gods of Falmart gathered to discuss how to proceed with the invaders.

The two sides almost came to an agreement, deciding how to handle the unsavory situation, when, out of nowhere, Jaldabaoth appeared, throwing the negotiation haywire!

The creature used his voice of command to "free the mind" of the city's denizens, making them abandon all their morals, worship, and start their endless rampage. Urging them to do heinous acts, kill and only listen to their most twisted instincts... their deepest desires, doing their sinful actions in his name!

Breaching the place of discussion, killing all the guards and apostles guarding the place, Jaldabaoth walked through the defense unscathed and without resistance.

Mocking the gods and Ainz, he revealed he had an agent amongst the gods.

Zufmuut betrayed his comrades, falling for the Demon God's scheme and selling them out for the promise of a better tomorrow, dragging along two more gods — Deldort and Palapon — in the treacherous act.

Ainz ordered his servants to take out the Demon God and the traitors, yet, before the servants could act, a familiar yet dreadful incantation echoed through the skies, giving the opportunity to Jaldabaoth and the traitors to escape.

The whole city was annihilated in a chaotic ray of light, its denizens, and probably even the Gods... no more.

Did they survive? Let's continue the story and find out what happened to them!

...

"A-Are we alive?" Duncan, the god of blacksmithing, removed "his" hand from the head of the dwarf priestess he possessed, looking around scared and confused.

"It seems that way."

"But, where are we?" All remaining deities were unable to recognize this place. It was alien. They had never seen a similar place before... A barren plain, covered by endless-looking desert, made from grey ashes.

They all stood in a wide road, made from onyx black shiny slabs, leading towards a great citadel necromantic in design, surrounded by an even greater city, made from bones of the deceased, held together by numberless souls.

It was huge! It was farther than any one of them could perceive! A distance that was so great you could run for days, and you still feel you are not closer at all.

Above them, darkness was prevalent. Only the moon's eye provided some source of light—a moon connected by many black chains glowing with white death runes, going towards numerous portals.

From a distance, a sea of souls headed towards this great, marble city, protected and escorted by Grim Reapers of many kinds.

"It feels familiar, but... what's this place?"

"Is this... a domain?"

"I feel no end of it. It can't be a domain. No domain is this huge!."

"And the density of this divine essence..." It was almost nauseating and poisonous for these "lesser" deities.

"Welcome to my domain." Turning around, all eight of them spotted Ainz, sitting on a great abyss black throne of gothic design, situated on a lesser mountain of bones, behind it a Shinto shrine towered.

On his two sides, Cocytus, Auriel, Albedo, and another woman in Grim Reaper robes stood, having marble skin and six thin segmented hands like of an insect, holding what looked like a sturdy black book, a scythe floated on her other side.