Chapter 12: Little Lamb, To The Slaughter

(Death, violence, and dark themes) 

God damn, my head hurt. It felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to it.

My eyes fluttered open. Everything that happened hours earlier came flooding back. I groaned under my breath. It was still too much to process.

I tried to get up and get my bearings, but was promptly stopped by a pair of arms around my waist. A head buried itself into my neck. It grumbled when I moved.

"Go back to sleep, lille lam."

I whined and pushed at Tord's arms.

"I need to pee."

With a huff he let go of me. I stood and realized I was really cold. The winter was still harsh. Tord was still half asleep and had his face in a pillow. I opened up his closet and was slightly delighted to find a black hoodie- much like the one I was given at the house, but newer. I slipped it on, reveling in the warmth it provided.

I took this opportunity to look around. The walls were, unsurprisingly, painted an eye straining bright red. His bed was raised slightly on a platform, with gray sheets and red pillows with the duvet. The floor under my feet was soft black carpet. Piles of clothes and hentai novels were shamelessly scattered across the room. A tv was mounted on the wall across from the bed. A desk to the left of that. Blueprints and pencils covered the surface of it. There was a nightstand on Tord's side of the bed that had a lamp, a tablet, and a pistol.

After heading into the bathroom and closing the door, I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was a mess. I looked tired. Hell, I felt tired just thinking about the things I'd learned. The tiles felt cold on my feet.

I couldn't just hide from the world in the bathroom, unfortunately. When I had finished, I stepped back out. Tord was now awake, sitting up against the pillows. His arms were behind his head and a lit cigar hung from his lips. He grinned at the sight of me.

"You smoke too many of those, Tord."

"I quite like seeing you in my clothes. You should wear them more often."

Huh? Oh, that cheeky bastard was deflecting, using the hoodie. It really was useless trying to talk to him sometimes.

I climbed back into the bed, squeaking when I was pulled to his chest. My legs were on either side of his stomach. He hummed and ran a hand through my hair. My eyes fluttered. I leaned into it.

"How are you feeling after your nap?"

"Confused. Conflicted. I thought Chandler was my friend. I thought...I thought a lot of things."

"Chandler? ...You really cared about him."

I went quiet. Tord searched my eyes for a few seconds.

"We can lay here until my cigar is out, then we have some business to attend to."

Business? My stomach dropped. Gray. I replayed the events once again in my head as Tord continued to play with my hair. My mind buzzed with questions.

What's he going to do? Where were Tom and Matt? Were they looking for me? Why did Gray abandon me?

No matter how hard I tried, my mind went back to that fact again and again. My stomach shouldn't be churning like this. Should I even believe Tord? I couldn't find it in myself not to.

A memory suddenly rose to the surface of my brain.

It was the middle of winter. Snow fell quietly from the light gray clouds that blanketed the sky. On peaceful days like this, I would've been curled up in my quarters with a blanket, a book, and a hot drink.