Part 2

" Cutting back hours?" Severus asks and Minerva nods.

" Your work in innovating cardiology has been astounding, we all thank you for it." The President says with no prompting.

" But...." Minerva drawls and Severus furrows his eyebrows.

" But?"

" You have worked four 28 hour shifts in the last week. That's 112 hours."

" So?"

" So. We want you to cut back. Take care of yourself. You know you work overtime and you don't even get paid? The maximum working hours in this hospital is 100, you take an extra 12 hour shift without clocking in. I don't even know how you do that." The president has a soft laugh but Severus still stares daggers.

" My patients need me."

" Your life needs you. If you worked four 28 hour shifts that only gives you two days of rest. You worked 5 full days." Minerva looks at him with these concerned eyes and Severus bites back a scoff.

" I work hard, that's how I got to where I am."

" Severus...."

He huffs, calming himself and biting the inside of his cheek.

" Fine. I'll cut back."

" 84 hours, maximum. That's still a lot, three 28 hour shifts a week. But at least it gives you the whole weekend of rest." The president says and stands, buttoning his suit jacket and holding onto his shoulders like some condescending big brother trying to give a pep talk.

" You make our hospital world renowned. Hell, half our patients come just for a consult with you. Interns sign up for our learning program because of you. To be working under the great Dr. Severus Snape. So don't disappoint all those people by dropping dead from exhaustion. Ok?" He says 'ok' as if he really is his big brother.

Severus just nods and walks away, walking faster as they call his name.

He sits on one of the hospital benches and looks up at the ceiling, closing his eyes as he drowns out the hospital chatter like background noise. It's peaceful.

" You ok?"

He cracks one eye open to see that EMT standing over him, a gym bag slung over his shoulder and his black hoodie layered under a white shirt.

" Yeah."

" What's got you all stressed?"

" Sorry, who are you?" Severus bites.

" James. Paramedic."

" I know."

" How?"

" You're too pretty to be one of us." Severus says blankly but James looks like he's been knocked back.

" You think I'm pretty?" He smirks and Severus sighs again.

" You have no eye bags. Your skin still has color and you're not malnourished."

" You don't look malnourished."

" That's because I hide it under muscle." Severus groans as he stands and faces him.

" I don't need a therapist. And you don't need to be here longer than you need to so I'll take my leave."

As he's walking past him James grabs his wrist, pulling him back with a ' wait wait wait'.

" You never told me your name."

Severus looks at him like he's stupid.

" You seriously don't know my name?"