Part 3

James finds himself looking at Severus every spare chance he has. As he's leaning against the nurse's station he leans his head every so slightly sideways so he can stare at the new object of his desires. He unashamedly, openly gawks at Severus as if no one else is there.

Sometimes Severus turns at the perfect moment and they make eye contact. James looks away fast and has a smirk on his face, leaning off the table and walking back to his neck of the woods. Once the paramedics team found out about his little crush on the world famous doctor, they started to tease him relentlessly.

But in James' defense, he couldn't not stare. He doesn't think he's ever seen anyone with such defined features. Dark hair, dark eyes, pale skin but not sickly, sharp cheekbones, hooked nose and a crooked smile that's perfectly complimented by shiny white teeth. The teeth thing is a little creepy, he will admit but it makes his smile so much more charming.

One thing he doesn't understand is how he always has color on his lips. It's almost as if he applies a lip stain or something because he always has this perfect shade of light cherry on his lips. It makes James stare, again and again.

He watches from afar, as Severus speaks to the only person he can stand in the entire hospital he's not obligated to be nice to. Alice is his favorite, James knows now so he has officially been on a mission to befriend Alice, therefore Severus.

Luckily, the universe is on his side.

" I swear, it's like he doesn't even care wether he eats or not. The man has to eat right?!" Alice absentmindedly complains about Severus' habit of throwing out lunches and James listens dutifully.

" Yeah, strange."

Alice sighs and nods as if saying 'right?!' but she doesn't actually say it.

" Anyway, do me a favor, get him a sandwich or something from the coffee shop. Even fruit would do, he was in an 8 hour surgery since last night and he refuses to go home until all the paperwork is done." She rolls her eyes and carries her stack of gloves, scrubs and various surgery supplies to a nearby OR.

" Will do." James calls after her and as soon as she's gone he is running to the cafe.

He can't choose between a ham sandwich or a bacon sandwich and just decides to get bacon because isn't that just crunchy ham? It's basically the same thing so why is he even bothered?

He got a BLT and was about to run up to Severus' office when he realized he has no idea where his office is. It shouldn't be hard to find, he's head of Cardio, it would be the office labeled Head of Cardio so it should be easy to find.

But as it turns out, James doesn't need to go on a wild goose chase looking for the office because as soon as he turns around he sees Severus sitting at one of the tables. The cafeteria is barren at 6am in the morning and Severus is sipping coffee while scrolling on his phone.

His defenses are down, he seems calm. Alright, perfect time to approach.

So he does.

" Ahem." James clears his throat and nearly cringes at how self righteous that action was.

Severus lazily looks up, head turning first and then the eyes following. James wants to memorize that action like a movie that'll play in his head.

" Yes?" Severus asks and suddenly James is pushed out of his own thoughts.

" Oh, sorry, spaced out."

" No problem. Can I help you?" Severus asks and James hands him the BLT, still warm, covered in a white paper wrap.

" Alice asked me to get you something to eat."

" Oh." Severus says and takes the sandwich, looking confused but then sighs.