Prologue

"Anya's tired, she wants a break."

"No."

The telepath made a face as she peered at her father from under her lashes, her chin resting on the table as she slumped over.

"But this is boring and I'm just getting stupider," she retorted, which only earned her a sigh from the man as he flipped through her papers.

Yor watched from the kitchen as the two bickered with a worried expression. Sure, she was never at the top of her class growing up either, but she didn't want Anya to get kicked out of school because of how bad her grades are! If that happened, Loid might leave her for that colleague of his...

"Loid-San, how are things going?" She asked with a wonky smile, hoping to break the tension.

"Not good, I'm afraid. I can't even decipher what she- Anya, get up," he spoke sternly, tapping the top of the girl's head with a pencil repeatedly.

The young girl jolted awake, drool dripping from her lips as she frantically looked around the room.

"Ah! Oh- *snort* is it dooms day?" She mumbled quickly, eyes darting between her Papa and Mama.

Loid sweatdropped as he watched his daughter, confusion etched on his features. He never had any idea what she was thinking.

Yor trotted over and sat beside her, patting her head gently as she let her gaze fall on her husband. "If you'll excuse me, I do have an idea..." She said before continuing. "Yuri tutoring Anya might not have helped, but I'm starting to think that's because she needs a professional."

"Shock!" Anya looked up at her mama with a wild expression, mouth hung open.

The spy furrowed his brows. He already knew where this was going.

"So, what I'm suggesting is, how about we hire an actual tutor? We have the money, and it'd be nice to see Anya make another friend," Yor said, eyes shining bright as stars.

Loid thought for a moment, millions of thoughts racing in his mind before he put on his signature smile, reaching over the table and fluffing Anya's pink hair.

"That's a wonderful idea, Yor. I'll consider it. For now, Anya, how about you see if there's anyone at school who'd be willing to help you?" He suggested, lightbulbs and sirens going off in his head.

Papa's a cretin, Anya thought with an unamused expression. "Yessir," she saluted, "can I watch cartoons now?"

"Yeah, yeah," Loid waved her off as she did a little cheer, immediately running towards the TV.

(● ˃̶͈̀ロ˂̶͈́)੭ꠥ⁾⁾

"Anya-Chan, you can't be over here! Only important people are allowed over here!"

The telepath raised a finger to her mouth as she shushed her black haired friend, a smug smile on her face.

"Anya has to see if anyone's willing to help me or else Papa will have a heart attack and die."

Becky gasped, her face contorting into one of heartbreak as she held a hand to her chest. "N-No! My poor Loid! Don't worry Anya-Chan, I'll help!" She said determinedly, getting behind her friend as they both peered around the corner.

Currently the two were waiting outside the door of the room the Imperial Scholars hung out at after school.

This could be risky, but it also might work. If Anya manages to snag a tutor from her school, I could get more information out of them without it being too suspicious. It only makes sense that a student with bad grades would get tutored. It'd be even better if they were an Imperial Scholar or somehow related to the Desmond's. This isn't pure desperation at all, right? Right?