Chapter 24 - The Key

*Jennie's POV*

Lisa's birthday. Something I should look forward to, something I should have been excited about as her girlfriend, but no. I feel scared. If my assumptions are right then this day must be the reason for everything. And Today, Lisa is going to meet her mother for the first time.

After the whole scene with her father, I wasn't sure if it would be okay for Lisa to go meet her mother. But she insisted that her mother will be different. She said no mother would treat their child like that. A part of me is saying that I should stop her, but my girlfriend, everyone, is super stubborn nowadays. I practically begged her to take me with her to see her mother at least, but she wouldn't agree to that as well. She argued that she will take me to her once they have settled things.

We went to church in the morning. She teases me that I got more religious nowadays. Only if she knew! From there we went to see her Appa and she introduced me this time as her girlfriend. Well, she can be sickeningly sweet sometimes. Finally, to our official hang-out spot, the Café, for a little celebration. It wasn't much of a surprise because since Lisa was like a younger sister to them, they could hardly contain the excitement in front of her which gave it in. Also, she insisted that we keep it small and simple, as she will probably feel awkward since she was not used to these kinds of things.

She was in tears when we all sang 'happy birthday' and cut the cake which made the rest of us cry -- even Jisoo Unnie and let me tell you, that woman doesn't cry easily. The whole scene was very overwhelming. Though I have seen her cry many times, I always feel a pang in my heart. I was very confused about what to get her for her birthday. I know this one is really special for her, and me too, but for completely different reasons. Luckily, Soohee and Jihyo helped me. It wasn't much, just a portrait; of all of us -- in front of the Café, our special place. Lisa cried even more if that was even possible when she saw it. She hugged me tightly as of I was going to disappear if she let go. I had to try my best to not break down with her there.

She bid goodbyes to us by afternoon. I even got Jisoo Unnie and Chaeng to convince her to take me with her, but instead, she got them to convince me to let her go alone. God!

Should I say I was anxious? No, because that would be an understatement. My heart was beating at an inhumane speed and I was constantly sweating. I came home after so that I don't end up worrying my friends as well. I kept constantly texting Lisa, but she only responded till 'I reached.' I have no idea what happened afterward.

By night, my mind was a mess. I was pacing around my room like I was looking for a needle in a haystack. I tried calling Lisa many times, but it's going straight to voice mail. I decided that was it so I decided to go to her house, but lucky me my parents won't let me. They didn't have a problem until now, but precisely Today they do! There was no point in fighting so, here I was sitting in my bed, staring at my phone for any contact with Lisa.

Tears keep streaming down my face. I don't know what's going on anymore or what I should do. All I feel is numbness. Even after half past four, I was still wide awake, trying to get Lisa to pick up and texting her like a frantic. The only thing I know for sure is that I will see her tomorrow at school because the past is yet to change.

I don't know when, but sometime after, I dozed off.

*Third Person's POV*

The following morning, Jennie jumped awake as the alarm went off. She was mentally drained since she sat up for almost an entire night. But she had something to look forward to in the morning -- something she lived for. Though she was planning on going to Lisa's house at first, she was late. Still, she decided to check once, but much to her dismay no one was there. She barely made it to the class before the first hour, which she instantly regretted because Lisa was nowhere to be seen.