5.

5.

CJ

"You look thin," I told him, watching his pale skinny arms swing at his sides as we walked out of the hospital. "Really thin," I reiterated, my eyes drifting to his always-exposed collarbone. His t-shirts were so big on him; it made me wonder who had given them to him. I couldn't remember him mentioning an older brother, which caused my mind to automatically drift to the image of Quinn wrapped around a tall, muscled boyfriend. I refrained from curling my fingers into a fist.

Quinn shrugged, itching at the bandage the nurse forced on his elbow considering he refused to get back into the hospital bed.

"We're going to get cheeseburgers," I announced. "I'm buying."

I looked down at Quinn who had begun to smile. I started to fulfill my urge to drape my arm around his shoulder, but he paused and frowned, so I quickly dropped it in midair somewhat embarrassed.

"You paid for my hospital bill," he said, confusion evident in his voice. He looked up from the ground and stared me in the eyes. "Why did you do that?"

Despite the intense stare that made me squirm, I chuckled and started walking forward, hoping he didn't see me freeze when his eyes first latched onto mine.

"I'm a cop kid, if you had forgotten. I paid next to nothing for that, so relax. This is my job."

He was still standing a foot back from me, staring into space with this faraway look on his face that made me smile.

"Quinn?" I called back to him with a chuckle. He blushed, looking up at me with a guilty smile, then jogged to catch up to me.

"So cheeseburgers?" he asked, staring a good seven inches up at me with this adorable grin. I chuckled and ruffled his unruly brown hair.

"Yeah. Cheeseburgers."

The ride to my favorite Bayside tavern was short and pretty much silent. Quinn loved to stare out the window and I loved to watch him, even though it really wasn't safe.

There was something about the kid that fascinated me. He was captivating and utterly mysterious. Those deep chocolate brown eyes were always red and guarded. I could never tell what he was thinking. The kid was unreadable, except when he smiled, and that didn't happen a lot. I loved that smile. There was something subtly sexy about how often he bit his lips and blushed at the things I said.

But it was wrong. God, it was so wrong. The kid was still 17. I was a cop.

But a cheeseburger wouldn't hurt. It was just a burger. So I held the door to the tavern open for him and greeted a buddy of mine at the bar, then grabbed two menus and led Quinn over to a high-top table.

"Hey Seej," Tommy said, using his favorite nickname for me as he leaned on our table. His eyes flickered to Quinn, and then he glanced back at me, eyebrows raised. I gave him a look that said "don't ask," so he didn't.

"So what can I get you two?"

"Just a water and some fries for me," I told him, checking my watch. It was getting close to dinner and I promised I would make Chicken Parm.

Quinn mumbled, "A cheeseburger with bacon please," in that strangely deep and scratchy voice of his, without even looking at Tommy.

But Tommy's eyes met mine briefly, and the wicked glint in his stare had me glaring back at him. I knew that look anywhere. It was the one that meant, "Damn I'd like some of that," and it was usually hilarious, watching him stalk his prey. But this was Quinn. Quinn isn't prey.