32 Jack Catches a Break

"Alright, Tier. It's time to move you over to county," the warden says, thinking that he woke me up in my cell.

Jokes on him, I didn't sleep a wink.

There is a buzz and my cell opens. In comes two officers with wrist and ankle cuffs. Pretty common accessories for moving an inmate from one location to another.

Just as the men click my jewelry into place, something strange happens. Officer House comes in to save me. Well, to usher in good news.

"Not so fast, fellas. Looks like Tier is one lucky son of a bitch." House holds up some kind of official document for us all to see. "This here is an official bail notice. Signed this morning."

"What?" I hear myself ask. "I told my brother not to pay for a bond."

"He didn't," my bald-headed copper informs me. "A Thomas Crawford did. Said it was the least he could do."

As the guys get to unlocking all of my restraints, the thoughts of dodging the county prison bullet make me unable to hold back a smile.

"Alright, throw a fucking party, Tier. You're going home," House quips.

Yes, home to Tyson.

***

After I couldn't get ahold of J'Nae, Tyson, or Ray, I figured walking back was my only option. The six-mile journey wouldn't be too bad. It was a relatively cool afternoon anyway. Not far up the road that leads out of town toward my destination, a black car pulls up beside me.

"Didn't get very far, Tier," House said when he rolled the window down.

"Keeping tabs on me already, House?" I scoff.

"Just making sure you weren't on a Greyhound out of town."

"I have no need to run. I didn't kill her," I retort.

He gives me this shit-eating smile. With his bare, muscular arm resting on the window sill and his eyes hidden behind his aviators, it is hard not to notice his confident attractiveness. He may be a bit on the short side, but I can tell from his skimpy tank top that he is fit. For sure in better shape than me.

"Get in, Tier. I will take you up the hill."

"House, we both know it is frowned upon to communicate with a suspect you are presently investigating," I remind him.

"Shit, Jack, it's just a ride home. Not a date. I won't ask you any questions," he says, smiling again.

Jack? He has never called me Jack before.

Against my better judgment, I get in the car. It's one of those new models of classic muscle car. Stick. As it should be. We talk a bit about the horsepower, the acceleration speeds, and the connection the car has to House's father.

The whole time I can't help but notice the lack of hair on the stud's body. His head, of course. Arms-shaved. Chest-shaved. Even his pits-shaved. This obviously gets me hypothesizing about House's pubes, ass, and balls.

"Did Ray tell you what happened to Tyson?"

My mind whips back to attention.

"What? No. I didn't see Ray after he abruptly left yesterday. He said he got called off to check in on one of his leads."

"Well, maybe. But I know it was also to go get Tyson from the hospital."

"Hospital!" My stomach turns into a boiling magma pit.

"Yeah. He broke his arm chasing after some armed robbery perp."

I let this wash over me.

"Robbery," I manage.