11 - Origin-Beginning

At the bar, Jyn sat down at the counter with the others, pulled her legs up onto the stool, and now sat cross-legged watching Harley take orders and hand out drinks. Wordlessly, she took Harley's gintonic, biting first into the lime and stirring around in the glass with a straw. HVT-One?! Fool of the year. Of the decade, of the century. Millennium. Still Jyn couldn't really believe who they were risking their lives for. For Amanda Waller. Un-fucking-believable. A person who was not worth saving.

"What about you Sweety?" asked Harley suddenly, looking eagerly at Jyn as she stirred her blue cocktail, "What's your story? I finally want to know. With how long we've known each other, it's about time. Someone is out there waiting for you, after all. I already know that much. Who is it?"

"Huh? Ahm... From the beginning? No, right?" which Jyn didn't really want to do, but Harley nodded enthusiastically and Jyn crossed her arms on the tabletop, panting, "Oh man. Please, this interests ke..... bored..... Um, okay..... after I graduate high school I'm gone. Everyone felt they had to tell me what I should do. Go to law school or medical school or management all that stuff. My future, already planned out. So I'm gone. Gone. Far.... far, away. I traveled to find out what I wanted. And what was very important. Who am I and what do I want? Me? And not the others. After a few months I came to Tibet and the people of a small village sent me up the mountain to a temple that was on top of the mountain."

"Monks?", Boomerang laughed up and put his glass back on the table, "You really lived with monks? What a crock of shit."

"Why are you interrupting me now, ha?! If you had just waited and merely listened, we wouldn't be having this unnecessary conversation.... okay? Good..... Thank you, back to Tibet. So I went up to the temple and from then on, survival became top priority. My main goal. There were no monks or anything like that living there, they were kind of hitmen...... Assassins is more like it. Assassins were trained there. During my time up there, however, I never received an answer to my questions. But something else. A story about a man who was banished by them. He was too extreme for the sensei.
I lived among them for a year, during which I nearly drowned, suffocated, froze to death or died of other injuries several times, and then I went to find the man who was banished by the sensei and I found him," a smile appeared on Jyn's lips as she twirled the glass between her palms, "Yes, I found him. And extreme is already nicely worded. If you don't die in the temple, you die with him at the latest. Shit, I don't even know why I stayed. I just think my ambition was awakened. Having ambition is sometimes not an advantage, it's just deadly.
In the early days, I got beat up and beat down in all sorts of ways. And amazingly, the worst I ever got was only six broken ribs. Everything else was just bruises, contusions or cuts. Nothing really dramatic. The odd concussion, but hey, you can get those elsewhere. But that I ever believed or had the feeling that I was going to die, there never was. Not that I got used to it, because you can never get used to that, to the feeling of dying, but something knew that that time was over.
Only all that I had learned from him up to this point was not enough and what I lacked I could only learn elsewhere.
In a very old part of the world there is a prison. A mine where people are thrown to suffer and die. A good hundred meters deep underground, filled with thieves, murderers and rapists who live in complete darkness. I spent two years of my life there. You learn to appreciate what you have; what is really important in life and what matters. And who you really were. Now that I've said that out loud and really thought it through, I really have to say that I have more of a path than some of you.
Thanks to him, I was locked in complete darkness with criminals for two years and still returned to him. He was trained even by the man I couldn't stand for more than a year and banished him, but I never felt with him that he would let me kill or die let alone let it get that far in the first place....... My time was beginning. This was it. My story. Not really interesting or worth telling."