15 - Coming

One of the most brilliant and intelligent people of our time said one thing.

If aliens ever visit us, I think it will have similar consequences to Christopher Columbus' landing in America, which didn't turn out very well for the natives.

That man was Stephen Hawkins.
And to be honest, he was absolutely right about that. It was never going to end well for us.

While the SEALs went to get the bomb, Flag and the squad wandered through the abandoned subway stations. At the station where this superhuman being had appeared, or rather appeared, everything was covered with an unidentifiable black substance. The one so 'white' and reasonably clean station was now simply the last shithole. Gummed up shithole. Even cockroaches wouldn't feel at home here. As if some chemistry experiment had gone mightily wrong. Not to mention the thousands of shell casings on the floor and the numerous dead.

"Has it been investigated?" asked Jyn Flag as she gently tapped her fingernail against one of the black strands, but Flag seemed to find the question more than superfluous, "Sorry, you're allowed to ask again, aren't you? God, then don't."

"It wasn't investigated," Flag replied weakly, looking at her somehow concerned, "Wasn't necessary. That black mass is the people who were here when the creature showed up."

"Uah.... It's getting really gross," Immediately wiping her hand on her pants, she grimaced in disgust, "So fucking gross."

It was like a giant spider had gone on a rampage here.

People turned into some critters or some black substance. What came next? Dead people coming back to life? But real dead ones. 28 Weeks Later said hello.

The journey continued for an eternity through the abandoned subway system. Midway City really had a lot of work ahead of it if things were to end smoothly.

"So Cerberus....," Boomerang began cautiously after dropping back to Jyn, "...... what happened? Ever since the plan with the bomb went down, you..... let's say, haven't been excited about it. What's bothering you about it? It's a good plan."

"You already know who Cerberus is?", bored, she let a knife snap in front of his face and continued without looking at him, "Guardian of the Underworld. He makes sure no one unauthorized enters or leaves the realm of the dead. What do you want?"

"To me, you are just that dog. No one unauthorized is allowed to die with you, or certainly not, someone who doesn't deserve it," this was the moment when Jyn pressed the knife into his throat, stopped, and turned to him emphatically slowly, "Come quietly, a team. Completely forgotten. You, me, the crazy lady, the hit man, or our Burning Man. We're all cool with each other."

"No, you and I are not cool with each other. Cool WE are not. Not cool. You're just there. Not changing that you're here," Jyn replied calmly, which made Flag pay attention to their conversation, stop, and come back to them, "Now if you're expecting a bro-fist from me too, or anything else like that, guess what happens. That's right, it doesn't end well for you. So there you have it. This plan sucks in my opinion. Okay, is that what you wanted me to say? Here you go. So, bro, or buddy, you just leave me the hell alone. Because when all this is over, we're not gonna have anything to do with each other. Neither of us. We have nothing in common."

"Blake," Flag made a head motion for Jyn to leave Boomerang alone and walk over to him, "Just for a second. Goes real quick, too."

"Just kidding. Right, Captain? Just kidding," laughing, she smacked Boomerang against the shoulder and with her hands up, let the knife snap shut again as she walked toward Flag, "We're all friends, aren't we? And friends don't get killed, do they! Nor does a friend make you throw yourself to certain death. Or Flag, how do you see it! Huh?"

"Is that supposed to be an innuendo?" which only brought Flag a shrug in response though, "If you have a problem, I'd like to hear it."

"Okay. Here it is. You. Are. My. Problem. Flag," Jyn whispered each word emphatically slowly with a pause in between so close in his ear that only he could understand, and then took a step to the side with a sneer, "Gotham rises. Arm yourselves. Prepare yourselves for battle. A storm is coming, for when it breaks, nothing will ever be the same. Do you think things can just stay the same? The fire was set long ago. You and your friends had better get ready, because when it breaks, everyone will wonder how they ever lived so immoderately while leaving so little for the rest of us."

Gently, Jyn stroked her fingers over Flag's face, smacking soundlessly as she surveyed him, running her tongue over her molars. It's like your opponent is carrying weights in a fight. Not a fair fight. But not anymore. And yet the fact would not change. Gotham would be theirs.

Instead of following Flag and the others, the group split up as Jyn headed straight for Echantress and the light source. Witch or not. This one hadn't survived millennia without reason. And whatever this witch was planning, it had to do with metal. Around the light source, all kinds of metal parts floated as if they wanted to protect the inner core or shield everything outside of it.

"I see you've made up your mind child," Echantress joyfully turned to Jyn, making some weird movements with her arms as if she was the goddess Kali herself, "What is it that you desire most?"

"What is she talking about?" whispered Deadshot, looking to the back to make sure none of the group was missing, but then everyone looked to Echantress where Jyn stood with her, "Such a bitch."

Echantress raised her hand, causing Jyn's eyes to close and stand in front of her as if in a trance. One moment she was still here and the next completely somewhere else. A smooth transition.

Gotham.

Empty streets. An empty Black Gate Prison. A city ruled by its inhabitants. Tribunals that have been established. The rich thrown out of their homes. No more hiding. Hope that prevails in the minds of the people that does not exist. The police not able to do anything. A destiny that is brought to an end.

"To the end," she whispered and began to smile as she looked into his face, "Until it goes out."
"To death." he replied causing her to blink.
Into death..... In. Den. Death......

"What about you?" asked Echantress in confusion as Jyn regained consciousness, which shouldn't have happened, "Isn't that what you wish for?"

"Even a manipulative witch bitch like you is not capable of granting every wish," under Echantress gaze Jyn dropped a sharp hand grenade to the ground right in front of her that she had gotten from GQ, moving further and further away from the witch, "Come on bitch. Manipulation is my craft too. If you're going to try mind games, avoid words. Words are usually more powerful than any weapons. Just one more thing. Come on, hit me. HIT. ME."

As previously thought, the grenade did not serve its intended purpose. Distraction. Nothing more. The detonator had been in Jyn's hand the whole time, and only activated when she was far enough away from the witch bitch. Perfect moment for Flag and the rest. But no. Far and wide no sign of them. That's just great.

The bang came. However, not as expected