12 - Frenemy

Finally, Jyn tied her hair into a braid, took a pair of glasses from the cabinet and turned in front of the mirror. It fits. Somehow. Relax, breathe in and breathe out. It'll be all right. No..... as if, yeah right. Only there was no one else who was similarly qualified. Shit, how is anyone supposed to buy it. You can't do anything but grow with your tasks.

Tense, Jyn looked around from the bench she was sitting on, glancing quickly at her watch and over the crowd. This was about the time the guy was supposed to come by here. Ten minutes overdue and far and wide nothing to be seen of him. It was her own fault, had been her idea. Why actually? Ah right yes..... there was something else.

"Doctor," Jyn called in a shaky voice as she spotted a dark-haired man with glasses in the crowd, whom she had seen pass too late among all the people, and hurried after him, "Just a moment."

"I don't have time," the dark-haired man replied briskly, not even bothering to turn around or stop, "I'm expected."

"Two minutes," she glanced around uncertainly and winced when the man stopped and turned to face her, "Uhm...."

"I don't have time for this," he snapped at her, looking at his watch as he was obviously late himself, "What do you want?"

"Good question," she stammered at first, but then walked up to him, and as if with a snap, looking up at him over the rim of her glasses, she was changed and looked at him blankly, "I think we should have a talk. Yes?!"

Taken off guard by Jyn's sudden change, the man stared at her, but she gestured for him to look over his shoulder for once with a motion of her head. Even in a courthouse, there were no securities these days. Ba-da Boom.

"Possibly you can spare some of your oh-so-precious time for me after all, ha?!", Jyn started to smile, taking a step to the side and a motion in the opposite direction the man was to follow her, "Don't worry. I think you'll like what I'm about to tell you. A proposal..... much more an extremely interesting and lucrative offer. And I think that we will quickly come to the same denominator. I hear you are a good chemist doctor, or am I mistaken?"

No, Jyn was not wrong about that. Chemist in this case could be interpreted in another way. This little something. So inconspicuous..... and yet so poisonous. However, one had to know it and how to apply it. Well, anyway, the doctor was such a person, whose business card one should better keep. My God, what kind of people she chose again. Really alarming. What was wrong with her? Maybe it was time to get a psychological evaluation. Psychological report, oh man.... how funny.

▪●•♤•●▪

Grumbling, Jyn pulled her hood over her head, rolled up a thin cardboard file and stowed it in the inside pocket of her jacket. There she had seriously thought she had left behind mountains and caves with Tibet, and now, she had to go into a dark cave with thousands of passages that all looked the same, as well as up a crumbling wet rock wall. Thank you.

A shadow made Jyn whip around, grab her pursuer by the throat, and press her knife into his neck.

"Whatever they did to you at the mine was for your own good," the man laughed, and Jyn let him go right away, "Before that, your self-defense just sucked."

"Ha ha, funny. It's so good to see in the dark too," before Jyn put her knife away, it traveled around her index finger several times and exhaled audibly, "Well, how bad is he?"
"Depends on what you bring," panting at that, she raised her eyebrows and scratched her right, "One of the idiots had one of the blueprints taken off him by some freak. King of Gotham he calls himself."

"King? Oh my god, what kind of retard is that?" she just shook her head disdainfully and handed the man next to her, a folded up card, "What you asked for. With the very best regards from the mayor himself...... Never heard of a king in Gotham before. Do I have to?"