CHAPTER 10: THE CRY OF A SIREN

I wake up in the middle of the night hearing my phone buzz off the nightstand. I lean down the bed to grab it.
Franco was calling.
My dear Franco.
Please let me sleep next to you.
Please let me fall asleep into your arms.
I will do you no harm. I promise.

"Hello?" I say answering, but he remains silent on the other line.

"Hello?" I repeat.

"Gemma, its Franco. I'm blocking your number. I just wanted to tell you so you aren't wondering if you did anything wrong.... You could never do anything wrong. It's me...not you. I know that's the worst break up line. I uhh-.. I'm going to miss you. I'm going to miss you so fucking much. You are such a bright light in darkness. Please don't let Deecon dim you. I'm going back to Lower... Please don't look for me. Bye."

The call ends and my body goes cold. Empty.

I drop my phone from my bed.
Without thinking I start to hysterically cry, a siren scream echoes in my room.
My neck freezes from my pendant feeling that awful emotion, hate.
Hate at myself and hate for Deecon's claws around me.
My fire had been blown out, the once warm glow of hope was stomped out.

My pendant state sends waves so high of emotion I almost drown beneath them. I pull my legs into my body, rocking it back and forth, trying to cradle my own self.
I hear my bedroom door swing open as Albi comes rushing to my side. "Gemma? Gemma, is everything ok?" He worries, trying to pry my face from the top of my knees.
I just keep shaking my head and squeezing my eyes shut. My pendant's cold chain freezing my throat that I almost wanted to rip it off from the pain.

"Gemma, please tell me what happened so I can help." Albi begs.
Soon I hear another set of footsteps hurrying to my room. "Hey, Albi. What's going on?" Deecon groans.
Albi answers "I don't know she won't tell me. I found her like this."
I hear Deecon's footsteps walking over to my side of the bed. With one swift movement Deecon pulls my body onto his lap.. Cradling me. Out of instinct, I placed my hand over his chest. My breathing started to slow, my lips quivering now began to stop twitching. I was being cared for and I desperately needed it.
Deecon begins to rub my back. "I got this. She told me she used to wake up like this after her parents died."
He wasn't lying.
I woke up in sweat from the memories of them leaving Sky. I had those awful nightmares of what happened to them for nearly 100 years.
It happened less frequently when I met Deecon. Another reason I liked him around, he would feel me stir in my sleep and wrap me in his arms to calm my nerves... I had forgotten those nights.

Albi begins to leave the room after Deecon assured him he could calm me down. I finally peek my eyes open to see his arms wrapped around my cradled body. He felt so warm. My body stopped shaking and my mind began to push every thought of Franco away to protect my mental state. It always tries to push my feelings down when they start to boil over.
"Feeling better?" He mumbles under his breath. I nod agreeing. He puts his arms under my legs and picks me up to lay me down back on my side of the bed.

Please stay.

He uncurls his back from laying me down, giving me a slight nod to leave the room. I managed to get words out "Please, stay."
He stops in his tracks not turning to face me, shaking his head no.
"Go to sleep, Gemma." He replies, beginning to walk out again. I pull my upper body up from the bed. "You don't have to sleep here.. Just stay until I fall asleep. Please, Deecon." I begin to utter the words before I can stop myself.

"-You once loved me so much it used to hurt when you breathed in my presence." I suck in a sharp inhale, fearful of my outburst.

He turns to me pushing his tongue to his inner cheek. He starts to slowly step his way to me. He sits on the other side of the bed moving his eyes to my pillow. He tilts his head to it now, telling me to lay my head on it. I do as motioned not breaking eye contact. My eyes start to feel heavier the deeper my cranium goes into the pillow. I place my hand next to his, please take it in yours. The warm touch he was emanating tonight gave me such peace. He doesn't take it, he leaves my hand cold. I don't blame him for not knowing how much it would ease me. I wasn't alone though. As I drift into a dream state I hear him whisper with the lightest tone lucky enough to hear.