2. Denial

"Where are we going?" I ask as I slide into the passenger seat

"It's a surprise." Katherine sings and I grunt.

I lean my temple on my knuckles. "I fucking hate surprises." I grumble. They stress me out. Make my anxiety skyrocket.

"It's not a bad surprise, I promise." And quite frankly, how do I know I can trust you?

"I bet it is."

"Listen, Pissy-Pants. You can either, come with me and see if you have fun. Or, we can go back to the shitty bar, you can drink shitty beer and get shitfaced. What's your pick, hockey boy?"

I snicker, "Hockey boy? Pissy-Pants? You've got quite the nicknames."

"And I can come up with some more, if you'd like." Katherine gives me an all-too-sweet smile.

"I'm fine. Drive."

"That's what I thought."

I stare out the window, feeling like a moody teenager who is moving to a new town at the beginning of a movie. All I'm missing is rain, a hoodie, and a pair of earbuds while Heather by Conan Grey plays. Or some Avril Lavigne song. Doesn't matter, just needs to be gloomy and dramatic.

Katherine snorts, "And I thought girls were dramatic."

"I grew up with two of them. I've been forcefully trained in the art of girl drama since I was the ripe age of four. You're getting a little sister they said. It'll be fun they said. I spent all but four years of my life: saying the wrong things,"-I begin to tick use my fingers to count-"giving the wrong looks, not buying ice cream, and God knows what else." I throw my hands up dramatically, "So, please, you know nothing about drama. Nothing."

"Two sisters? And you're still living to tell the tale. Impressive."

"What about you? Any siblings?"

Katherine shrugs. "I have a half sister I only see at Christmas. Who knows if I have any other siblings."

My forehead creases. "What do you mean?"

"Dad is a rich businessman who only cares about money. Apparently didn't know how to wrap it before he tapped it. Lots of mistresses. I, am the child of the wife."

"Scandalous."

"Very." She waggles her eyebrows at me and I chuckle. "So, just the two sisters?"

"Yup. Both younger than me. Parents had kids every four years."

"Solid choice. Kids are exhausting."

"Greyson isn't gonna know what hit him. He thinks he's about to have an angel child." I state and Katherine chuckles.

"I'm pretty sure that's because he thinks he himself is an angel."

"If that ain't the truth." I chuckle, relaxing into my seat.