Chapter 4 -History and Objectives-

As the carrier stopped at Medan's front gate, the delivery crew all came out and greeted the watchers. While they were doing so, Kay, Alan and Kyle got off next and had started making their way back into town. Kay stretched his arms wide, letting out a satisfied groan.

"Ahh. Nothing like a road trip with some friends."

He said as he kept walking. But such a casual statement made Alan suddenly stop in his tracks for a moment. He looked down at the floor and repeated that word to himself.

"Friends..."

Kay and Kyle looked back at him, wondering why he was just standing still.

"Alan? Is everything okay?"

Kyle asked. Alan raised his head to look at them, his eyes now full of regret.

"Kay. Kyle. There's, something I need to tell you. It's...Really important..."

Kay and Kyle were taken aback by how serious he sounded. Whatever was on Alan's mind, it was clearly something he felt needed to be said. It was getting late, and the sun was now starting to set. Medan was beginning to quiet down. Kay, Alan and Kyle were all sitting down on a bench in town square, talking.

"The reason why I came to this city, was to find something called The Unknown Catalyst."

Alan said, looking down with his hands in his lap. Kay and Kyle didn't know what he was talking about, which was clear by how confused they both looked.

"Unknown. Catalyst?"
"What's that?"
"It's a special magic power that travels the world. My dad said that it was moving towards this city, and that I had to catch it, no matter what. It doesn't have a shape, but it's a black color, and it's always moving around."

After Alan explained what the Unknown Catalyst was, Kay and Kyle were still confused, but they took a moment to try and understand it.

"Okay. A little hard to believe, but I think I got it."
"Did your dad send you here to find it?"

Alan nodded in response to Kyle's question.

"He said...That it was a task no one could know about, because no one can be trusted...He used to tell me all about the things people would do just to survive in this world. That they would steal. Kill. Lie. Or even worse...My dad wants to use the catalyst to try and change this world. But..."

As Alan paused, he looked at Kay and Kyle with a warm smile on his face.

"You showed me that the world doesn't need to change. Being here with you guys, I see now that dad was wrong. So. I don't need to search for the catalyst anymore."

Feeling very much at ease over Alan's revelation, Kay smiled back at him. But Kyle kept pondering over the information he had just learned.

"A power that travels the world..."
"Have you heard of it before, Kyle?"

Kay asked.

"Only rumors. I don't know anything about magic, but some of the delivery crew have said that they've spotted a strange shapeless thing on the road before."

Kyle turns to Alan with a curious look on his face.

"The catalyst isn't, dangerous or anything, is it?"
"Not from what dad has told me."
"Something bugging you?"

Kyle shook his head, and started pondering once again.

"Not sure. I'm just hoping this doesn't bring any unwanted attention to Medan..."

But Kay shrugged, dismissing his friend's worries.

"I wouldn't stress over it. It's probably long gone anyway, right Alan?"