Chapter 10 -Halsbert-

After arriving at Halsbert, Kay and everyone saw that it also had walls similar to Medan's, but they didn't seem as well fortified. The height was the same, but the material used looked more like roof plating. That wasn't the most significant thing that caught their eye, however. As everyone crouched near the front gate in an effort to keep themselves hidden, Kay gasped at what he was seeing.

"What, is this..?"

As they peaked through the gate, the party was horrified to see that there were 3 large wraiths standing guard over what appeared to be a collage of people, who all looked severely injured. The wraiths themselves were very bulky, and their arms were clearly their most defined feature, due to how easily they reached the ground. The injured people were being held in the center of town, which didn't look any better. Most of the buildings and houses either had holes put in them, or were torn down completely. All of this hinted at the fact that Halsbert was attacked, much like Delun Haven. Only this place wasn't abandoned...Alan was just as devastated as Kay was in regards to this.

"What are they doing..?"
"This, is Halsbert...The wraiths are keeping a lock on things until they get what they want. They're waiting for the catalyst...For Kay..."
"For me..?"

As Class revealed the reason why the wraiths were here to begin with, Kay was shocked yet angered by it. Doctrene stared very intently at the wraiths in town, having somewhat of an idea of how this situation came to be.

"A hostage situation...This is a coarse of action I never thought the wraiths would take...Although, this is to be expected from him..."
"Man...This is hard to look at..."

Buch said in a somber tone. Unable to keep staring at this depressing display before him, Kay gritted his teeth and stood back on his feet. Kyle looked up at him.

"Kay? What are you doing?"
"Those people are being held because they want me, right? Well I'm not going to disappoint them..."

Kay clenches his fists in rage, as black aura began to swirl around them. Sensing his student's intent, Doctrene immediately tried to talk to him.

"Kay, just stop and think. Even if you did show yourself, who's to say they won't kill everyone here afterwards?"
"But...Doctrene, they-"
"I understand your desire to save those people. But we must be strategic in our approach if we're to do so successfully."

Understanding his teacher's words and how right he was, Kay frowned before looking back at the people who were captured. He was in agony over the fact that he couldn't do anything for them, at least not yet...Kyle looked at Class before asking her something.

"Class, where is your friend? Is he in that crowd?"
"No, he's hiding in a supply room. But don't worry, I know a shortcut to get there."
"Then let's hurry."

Kay said in an agitated tone. Agreeing with him, Class quickly started making her way around the walls of Halsbert, with everyone else following closely behind. She eventually led them to the very backside of the town and started kicking at some of the dirt on the floor. After doing so, she exposed a square indentation which looked out of place.

"This is it."

Class reached down and pulled at the indentation, revealing a hatch which opened with ease. As she proceeded to climb down inside, Kay and everyone else began to follow. This passage led to a hidden tunnel which ran underneath Halsbert. As Kay and his friends were all climbing down the ladder, Class was making her way down the tunnel. Until...

"Stop right there! Who is it!?"

A young man shouted as he popped out from around the corner. He looked panicked and his clothes were tattered. Class raised both of her hands up as she attempted to reason with him.