Chapter seventeen

Gio's pov

They're all tiptoeing around us, treating us like glass about to break. They speak in almost whispers like they're afraid of waking up sleeping babies. They're trying to baby us, they won't leave us alone. They're always there, hovering as if they think that if they leave us alone, something bad will happen. It's comforting but also suffocating.

Ever since we told them the truth about how we grew up, all our brothers are acting like they're walking on eggshells around us. They act as if they say the wrong thing, it'll send us over the edge. I can see their looks of concern and sadness when they think I can't see them. They've also been spending a lot of time locked in their offices and have explicitly told us not to bother them when they're in there. They claim it has to do with their business but I think something else is going on here. For people that wanted to know every dark secret we had, they're so eager to hide their own. They want honesty from us and yet, they aren't being honest with us. Whenever I ask what they're doing in their office's, they tell me it's boring paperwork and not to bother myself with it. But, something about the way they say it that has me doubting them. I've noticed things about them that tells me they may be lying to me. 

It's harder with Pietro because he never gives much away but once when I asked him, I was sure that there was a tiny bit of fear in his eyes. I couldn't explain it but he looked scared for a second before it was gone. Matteo doesn't look me in the eye when he says certain things, he looks at the top of my head. Sebastiano's tone changes ever so slightly, he sounds sort of scared, his voice wavers for just a second. Lorenzo changes the subject and won't answer me right away. Luka looks at the wall, Emilio looks down, and Antonio doesn't blink. These little things tell me something's off and I can't decide what I think is going on. I think there's some issues in the company or maybe it's something else entirely.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Ali asked, 

"I think they're hiding something," I said, 

"They thought we were hiding something and now it's role reversal," Ali said, 

"I know but something is going on, they're holed up in their office's for hours," I said, 

"Okay, but it could also be nothing," Ali said, 

"I know, but they thought we were hiding something," I said, 

"Yeah, and we were," Ali said, 

"I know, but now I think they're hiding something and I want to know what's going on," I said, 

"Are you sure? It might be something bigger than we can handle," Ali said, 

"I know but I thought we weren't keeping secrets from each other anymore," I said, 

"Yeah, but maybe this isn't something we should know about," Ali said, 

"We thought they shouldn't know about us but we told them anyway," I said,

"Yeah, and?" Ali asked, 

"We need to get them to tell us their secret," I said,

"And how do you plan on doing that?" Ali asked, 

"I don't know yet, but I'll think of something," I said.

I walked downstairs and I heard voices so I paused and hid behind the wall by the stairs. I peered around and saw Pietro talking with someone I had never seen before. He was tall, with dark hair and dark eyes, he had tattoos and he had a look of danger in his eyes. 

"They're enemies of the mafia now, there's nothing we can do," He was saying,

"He hurt them and it won't be forgiven easily, I won't rest until I see him pay for what he did," Pietro said,