Part 13

I walked into my room tired; my wings practically dragged on the floor as I walked in.

"Queen Mal, you look exhausted. Are you alright?" Evie asked, sitting in the chair she unofficially claimed in my room. She was reading a book in cute little blue shorts with red lace around the hems and the waistband; her top was a matching blue tanktop with the same red lace around the chest and hems. Her hair was out loose, fluffy around her shoulders. 

"Yeah, just tired. I'm going to change in the closet. I'll...I'll shower in the morning." I mumbled back, walking to the closet.

I picked up the first pajamas I could find and put them on. I saw in the mirror that I had picked long green and black floral pattern pants and a black tank top with the words "Green Thumbs" in green. I was surprised I picked matching ones, but knowing how Jane runs all the people under her, I wouldn't be surprised if our domestic workers placed all matching clothes together. We use the term domestic workers instead of maids, so it has less of a derogatory connotation and is gender neutral.

I walked back out to my bedroom, and Evie was quietly reading. I don't know what gave me the energy, but I couldn't help but ask, "What are you reading Evie Dear?"

"Oh, it's a book detailing the history of the Morrs. It's fascinating and helps with designs." Evie told me, setting her book down and walking to the bed.

"You don't have to go to sleep just cause I am, Evie," I told her, getting into bed, completely worn out but glad to see she was doing better than earlier.

"I know I was waiting for you to get back from work. You do know it's already 11, right, Queen Mal?" Evie asked, with a little giggle in her voice, as she got comfortable under the covers, still facing me slightly.

"No," I said, lying down and getting comfortable beside her. The feeling of the other next to them had become normal to us, "Good night, princess." 

"Good Night, Queen Mal," Evie replied before we drifted off.

I awoke to Evie's voice, mumbling, scared. My wings had already covered her up like when my little siblings would come and stay with me in my room cause something in the underworld scared them.  

"Evie, Evie Darling," I shook her slightly, making her move and get more scared. Finally, I shifted to hold her, "Evie Darling, I'm right here; this is Mal. You're having a nightmare; you're safe." I kept repeating southing things to her while holding her tight. 

Soon she awoke, "Queen Mal..." she mumbled, scared.

"Yeah, It's me; you had a nightmare, it's ok. You're ok now. You're safe here." I told her gently, letting her go now that she wasn't panicking as much.

Evie took deep breaths before I asked, "Do you want to talk about it?"

She nodded, "I was living with Snow and Mother; Mother had us playing the queens in a life-size version of chess. All my friends I've made here and Dizzy played the other pieces. She and Drizella played commanding the moves, commanding us. I watched as each of them was forced to fight each other and kill the other to win the spot. Finally, it got down to just a few of us. Mother made me fight Snow, and then I woke up." Evie explained, looking up at the ceiling in my room. She has gone numb during this.

I hugged her and said, "Evie dear, you're ok; that never happened; your mom can't hurt you ever again, I promise. it was just a nightmare." I continued to whisper kind things to her till we both drifted back to sleep.

I woke up again, but this time to a peacefully sleeping Evie. I have decided not to get up and go on a flight yet. Instead, I waited for Evie to wake up. It didn't take long as the sun soon breached the horizon.