Part 14

Evie' Pov

I walked through the corridors silently with Vanna, Rune, Diya, and Snow. Queen Mal once again told me to ask her if I needed anything, and she would come and help.

I didn't know what to say to Snow; she was gorgeous and regal, unlike Queen Mal or my mother. It was graceful in a way they never were or are. Queen Mal is always approachable and, while threateningly in appearance, is always in a casual, personal way that invites you in. My mother was always cold and needed absolute perfection, commanding a room through power and aggression. But Snow is different; she is in a simple blue dress with a red jacket and yellow accents. Her black hair was long down her back, and her face had simple light makeup and bright red lips.

I didn't understand anything anymore. I desperately need to talk to Dr. Baruch; I need therapy for this, and treatment has improved. And Doctor Marietta Puerta says my health is improving, and we can go for two-week checkups. So things are going well, which means this should go well; this will be ok. 

I was so lost in my thoughts I didn't realize we had made it to the sewing studio. Vanna grabbed their stuff off their workspace and started to hover as they worked on the embroidery for Princess Eudora. Vanna was almost always flying somewhat, and it was magical to see. Next, Rune started sewing the fabrics for General Lonnie's Hanfu-inspired pantsuit. And Diya got to work hand stitching the gemstones on Queen Mal's suit; it was tedious but would all be worth it. Diya was more than happy to have the hand-sewing jobs and would continually be lessening to music, dancing slightly to the tone.

"Would you tell me what you're working on?" Snow asked me, standing beside me in the middle of the room. I felt like a deer in headlights; I'd never presented my work before, and I'd never had a conversation with my Step-sister either. This is all so new and very anxiety-inducing. 

"Oh, um, sure, Vanna is working on embroidery for Princess Eudora of the Underworld. If you follow me, I can show you the design, and Vanna can explain what they are doing." I tried to explain, but I was nervous. At least I was talking about what I love. So we walked over to Vanna's station, "Vanna, can you explain your embroidery design to Queen Snow? She is going to write an article on our new sewing department."

"Hello, your majesty," Vanna asked, leaning down from where they floated, "I would love to tell you what I am working on! I am making a flower pattern that you can see on the sketchbook on the table. I am sewing the flowers on now." They explained, leaning down and showing us where they were at. They were almost done with this fabric part, and it looked fabulous. The colors were just as bright as I had hoped, and the flowers practically popped off the fabric.

 Snow lightly ran her hand over the stitching and told them, "That is quite remarkable." Then, she asked me, " And you're doing this for all your outfits now, Evie?" 

I was a little surprised she asked me directly and not Vanna since it was their work, "Yeah, I thought it would give an interesting signature to our work. Vanna is so good at embroidery. It also lets us add more detail and designs into the clothing."

"Wonderful," Snow told me before returning to Vanna, "I'll let you get back to work, Vanna; thank you for speaking with me."

"Happily, Your Majesty," Vanna replied before continuing their work.

"Oh, um, Rune is sewing the suit outfit inspired by a traditional Hanfu for General Lonnie," I told her as we walked to his station. I was completely lost at what to say otherwise.

"That's very interesting. Could I see some of the designs?" Snow asked me, smiling. I felt lost; this woman was nothing I had ever heard but looked the same as I had seen. It's hard to keep up with my mother's abuse and lies. To the point where Dr. Baruch diagnosed me with anxiety and PTSD. But I am still trying, and I'm not going to stop.

"Oh, those are over here, on my workstation." I led her to my station and showed her all the designs. "This is the one for Queen Mal: a suit with embroidered flowers and gemstones. It has a black suit jacket and pants, a purple bralette, and a green tie." I paused as she looked over the design, "Then you have the Hanfu-inspired outfit for Geniral Lonnie, with the embroidered dragon, flowers, and swords on it. Then General Jay's is an orange suit with embroidered lamps and flowers pouring out of the lamps, all embroidered on."

"I'm impressed with how you add in their heritage. I know General Lonnie is from China, and General Jay is from Agrabah." Snow commented, looking at the designs and listening to me closely. 

I continued, "Then you have Prince Hadie of the Underworld, with a black suit, embroidered blue flames, and some green vines. Then Princess Astrea has a green dress with blue embroidered flowers on the bottom. Next is Princess Eudora, a flowy pale pink dress with flowers and gemstones embroidered. Then Princess Thaila will have a simple blue dress with some flowers."

"You're doing them all for the royal family of the underworld?" Snow asked me, looking up at me from the designs.

"Um, no, Not the king and his wife. Queen Mal brought her siblings in and asked if I could do their outfits. They all match with the colors and flowers; they are also the only ones we are adding gemstones to." I answered her as best I could.

"Wow, that is quite amazing. Do you have more?" Snow asked me, looking interested.

"Yes, that is the Fairy wifes who wanted matching red, green, and blue dresses with flowers all over. And then we have Jane's light blue dress with embroidered flowers and a geometric pattern." I showed her all the ones for the Royal court.

"These are very nice. Did you only do the Royal court this time? If not, how did you choose who got an outfit and who didn't?" Snow asked me.

 "I did more, but just us in here. I figured they should get an outfit if they made all the outfits. So Vanna has a black blazer, an orange dress, floral embroidery, and their name. Diya has a multicolored dress with embroidered flowers. Then Rune has a black and white suit with floral embroidery." 

"What about your outfit for the day?" Snow asked me, looking confused.

"Oh, I designed a blue dress with flower embroidery. I'm more concerned with getting everyone else's ready in time. I just came in recently, which, you know, so I didn't have much prep time and didn't know about this holiday before, so Rune has been helping, and I have been doing a lot of research on it." I explained to her. 

"Your work is quite welcoming, just like this kingdom, under Queen Mal's rule at least," Snow told me, smiling. I still didn't understand how she could move past my mother's deception for all these years.

"Do...do you..." I shook my head; I really shouldn't ask her.

"Yes, is there something you wanted to ask me? I'm more than happy to answer any question you have." Snow replied gently.

"Do you mind if I ask you in private?" I asked, barely a whisper.

"Of course not, wherever you feel comfortable," Snow replied.

I nodded and walked out of the room with Snow following.