Part 24

I was in my office working on plans for Fairy Day when Fauna entered with a package.

"Your majesty, Evie's items have arrived," Fauana told me, entering.

"Thank you. Would you set the box down on the table, please," I asked her before I returned to my list.

I left the box for the rest of the day, picked it up after dinner, and walked it back to my room with me. When I entered, I found Evie in a long nightgown and her robe.

"Good evening, Evie. I have something for you." I told her, walking to my seat and placing the box on the table before us.

"A box; what's this, Mal?" I smiled; since her first lesson with Aunt Hekate, she has started to call me just Mal, and it's been a wonderful new thing. 

"This is all the stuff you asked for. I'm sorry it took a couple of weeks; the paperwork took a little while," I answered her. 

Her face lit up fast as she grabbed the box and opened it. Her face was the happiest I had seen, a glow with the light of what was in that box. Slowly, she started to pull out items. First was a stack of sketchbooks with pages sticking out and fabric strewn about. She silently flipped the pages, smiling at her old work. Slowly, she went through each book, gently with each page, her smile never fading; I might even say it grew. Finally, she gently set the book aside before grabbing and opening a wooden box. Inside was a golden necklace with a gold crown hanging from it and a ruby cut in the shape of a heart right under the dome of the crown. She stared at it for minutes, maybe longer.

I asked, "Would you like me to help you put it on?"

She turned to me, looking almost surprised I was still there, before nodding yes. I silently stood up and gently took the necklace from her. I carefully undid the clasp as she pulled her hair to the side. I gently placed the chain around her neck before carefully and securely fastening it around her neck. Once done, she looked back at me so softly. I silently sat back down as she looked back in the box. She slowly let go of the necklace and reached down in the box. Gently, she picked up a second box, like the one her necklace had come in. This one was a bit bigger, though. Slowly, she lifted the lid and looked inside. There was a small delicate gold crown with rubes and satires embedded into it. It was one I could tell she had outgrown. 

Caussuly, she runs her hand over the headwear. "This was the only gift my mother ever gave me. She said that a princess must always look her best." Slowly, I could see and hear her tears rolling down her face and onto the precious peace. 

Gently, I approached, "Can I hug you, Evie dear?" 

She nodded, crying into me as I hugged her. She screamed and cried as I held her tight. I mumbled softly into her ear as many kind words as I could give her. Slowly, her breathing evened out, and I started to pull away. 

I mumbled the spell to levitate the box of tissues over. Once they reached my hand, I offered them to her.

"Thank you," She replied, wiping the tissue away her tears. 

"The necklace was the last thing my papa gave me before he died. It was the only gift from him my mother couldn't take from me. It was hidden; she never knew he gave it to me." Evie told me quietly. I nodded to show I was lessening.

"I remember him so little; he died when I was 10. Mother told me Snow killed him as revenge when he went out one day for more supplies. He was kind and taught me how to cook. He would teach me his native language and his old family recipes. He was kind and had a light I had only seen in him. He was the only one my mother didn't expect perfection from. He was everything I had till Dizzy came. Now I can barely remember the name he used to call me from his language." 

I gently placed my hand on hers, "We will find out what happened to him." 

Evie nodded in response. It was quiet for a while before she said, "I'm going to put these up. I'll be back."

She took all the sketchbooks and the tiara and left the room. I'm worried about her, but at least I know the soul-bound connection will tell me if anything happens. I picked up the packaging and threw it away before deciding I was going to have a shower. I grabbed my pajamas from my closet before walking to the bathroom. I entered and started my routine. I was glad to have this break; between the cases, the day-to-day things, planning for Fairy Day, and training, it's hard to find time for me right now. 

I let the stress wash off with the hot water on my skin. I spent a long time under the water, simply thinking and allowing the heat of the water to relax my sore muscles. Once the water had run cold, I exited the shower and did my nightly routine. 

However, when I rentered my room, I found no Evie. I checked my phone, and I had taken an hour for my shower, so I decided to stay awake and read. I chose to read my favorite fiction book in its original language. I read and read, but still no Evie. It was almost 11 by the time she returned, but she looked better than she did before. She still had on the necklace, but the books and tiara were no longer with her.

"Hey Evie," I greeted, not knowing how to approach this.

"Hey Mal, I'm doing better now. Thank you for giving me these back. I placed one of the sketchbooks and the tiara on my altar for my goddess," Evie told me. That would explain the time; walking there and back would take a bit.

"That sounds good. Are you ready to go to sleep?" I asked her, glad to know that she was doing better.

"Yeah, that would be nice," Evie replied. I stood up, and we both got in on our sides, laying down for a night of sleep.