ten: Contagious Chemistry

Scarlett Johnson

"... Jenna Dawson, Matthew Daley, Charlotte Daniels..." 

The list of names were called out through the small microphone by the school's Principal, Mr. Lawrence, dressed in a black formal suit, as he stood tall on the podium stand. We all sat attentively, and watched as the students whose names were currently mentioned, stood up from their seats and approached the small staircase on the side, leading up to the stage to receive their graduating diplomas and certificates.

"I can't believe we're graduating from high school. Next thing you know, we're already attending the first day at our university. Time flies by so quickly," Kadence whispered, her voice audible for only Drew and I to hear. Kadence had already received her academic certificate and diploma, since her surname started with the letter 'A', and we laughed when she cheekily waved at the crowd once she received it, a bright smile gracing her lips and quickly winking at both of us before she left the stage and returned to her seat.

"And then, we're searching for jobs and-" Drew started to say, but Kadence cut her off, "I don't think I'm ready for any of that," and hesitantly shook her head.

"Me neither," I sighed in agreement, before averting my gaze back towards the stage, where they continued to call out the list of names in alphabetical order.

The minute Drew's name was called, she nervously stood up from her seat, biting her lip as Kadence and I flashed her reassuring smiles and giving her a thumbs-up, and watched her retreating figure disappear from our row. She approached the side of the stage, walking up the small steps and shaking hands with Mr. Lawrence when he handed her high school diploma, and an academic certificate. He congratulated her, and Drew thanked him, giving him a small nod.

Kadence and I applauded and cheered, much more than the rest of the students, showering our best friend with well-deserved support. Kadence pretended to wipe a fake tear, when she spoke, "Our little Drew's all grown up," and I suppressed the urge to burst into laughter at her comment, as I playfully smacked her arm with a light chuckle.

Drew soon exited the stage, her diploma and certificate held tightly in her hand and made her way back over to the previous seat beside us. She tucked a few loose strands of her wavy brown hair that had carelessly fallen to her face, and I could sense her uneasiness once she plopped back down in her seat, letting out a sigh of relief.

"That was one of the most nerve-wrecking things I've ever had to do, did you notice how much my knees were shaking? And Mr. Lawrence must've noticed how nervous I was, my palms were practically sweating." Drew rambled, her cheeks slightly tinged in pink from embarrassment and her brown eyes widened.

"Relax dear, you did great, okay? No need to worry anymore, because you've finally got your diploma! It's official, you've graduated!" Kadence grinned, and randomly pinched her cheek which only earned her a glare from Drew in return while Kadence shrugged.

We fell into silence, our gazes focused on the stage, but there was a weird feeling at the pit of my stomach, almost as if I could sense that someone was staring at me. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, glancing at Kadence and Drew at the corner of my eye, but they didn't appear to be bothered the slightest. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, and I must've zoned out for a few minutes when my head suddenly snapped up at the sound of my name being called out, and Kadence nudged my side with her elbow.

I stood up from my seat, and started to walk towards the stage when I noticed that the weird feeling at the pit of my stomach didn't go away. I could still feel a pair of eyes burning at the back of my head as I made my way up the stage, and shook hands with Mr. Lawrence. He handed me my diploma and an academic certificate, similar to Kadence' and Drew's, and congratulated me, while I thanked him, although once I walked off the stage, I couldn't help but glance out at the audience, where students were properly situated in their seats, no sign of anyone that could be the cause of my uneasiness.