seven: Right By My Side

Scarlett Johnson

"Oh God. It's so long." I groaned.

"It's not. Trust me." Niall chuckled.

"It doesn't fit!" I argued but I can sense a smile forming on my lips.

"Here." Niall pushed and smiled victoriously. "I told you it would fit."

I rolled my eyes as I grabbed the cup away from him. I told him the straw he got was too big for the cup of latte I ordered but surprise surprise, he didn't listen.

"I don't know about you guys but I thought I felt some sexual tension." Kadence winked. Drew almost spit out her strawberry frappe and started laughing. 

What—? Oooh.

My cheeks heat up as soon as I realized what they were talking about. I sipped awkwardly from my cup and tried to nudge the two idiots.

The awkward silence started to form but was luckily postponed by Niall's ringing phone. "Miss me already?"

I looked questionably at Drew and Kadence but they gave me a shrug. I was too caught up by my so called "crush" for Niall Horan that I forgot that maybe he's already taken.

"Sure, love." He laughed, eyes wrinkling and his dimple showing. "Alright. Bye."

He looked up at us, his eyes still sparkling from laughter. My heart dropped at how lucky the girl is. She makes Niall so happy. How does she do that?

"Girlfriend?" Drew asked and I whipped my head to send her a look. She avoided my eye and smiled innocently at Niall.

He laughed. See? Anotherlaugh. "Nah."

Wait. Nah as in a no? Or is there a girl named nah?

"It's Zayn. I don't have a girlfriend." Niall explained. "My shift ends in a few minutes and the lads wanted to hang out."

I released a breath of relief. "Oh."

"Why don't you guys come?" Niall asked with a bright smile after a few moments.

I looked at our textbooks and smiled sadly. "We —"

"Sure! We'd love to come!" Kadence grinned almost bouncing in her seat.

"But—" I motioned at the things we still have to study but I was yet again interrupted.

"Come on, Scarlett. Just a few hours won't hurt." Drew coaxed.

Wow. Drew the responsible, more-mature-than-Kadence one?

Well if she's in, then so am I.

"I guess." I grumbled and they all cheered.

"Great. I'll text the boys." Niall went back inside the kitchen with his phone in his hand.

Kadence giggled. "This would be fun."

--------

"Hello, loves." Zayn greeted as he opened the door, a spark in his eyes. He must have been having a great day.

"Zayn! Long time no see!" Kadence grinned and immediately wrapped her arms around him.

Kadence. Always the hugger.

Zayn chuckled and hugged her back before they pulled away. "Let's go inside. The boys are waiting for you guys."

We all went in and I took my time looking around the house. "Whose place is this?" I asked amazed at all the drawings and paintings hung on the wall or simply framed.