Chapter 3

Neab Pov

Cottage

11:00

I made breakfast for myself and the team, and by instinct made it for all five of us and only later realized that Cake won't be here to drink her favorite strawberry milkshake. My heart physically hurts when I think how Cake will be suffering right now, what hurts me more is that I did not do anything to save her.

With that guilt sitting in my heart, I swallow the toast, Sho is sitting right in front of me, and took a bite of the toast in silence. I heard the jeep coming out way, I immediately ran out to check, and I saw Leo driving and Fighter in the passenger seat, both looking furious. Leo parked the Jeep, got out, and slammed the door shut.

"Sho you bastard" Leo yelled with full rage, he ran towards Sho intending to attack him. "How could you? How could you do that to Cake? How could you do that to us?"

I am assuming that Fighter had briefed him about Sho's little plot twist.

Leo punched Sho right across the face, that did look painful, but I don't care he deserves it. Leo kept attacking Sho, he was not just intending to hurt him, he was going for a kill.

Fighter and I looked at each other equally confused. We all know that Leo is strong, but that doesn't mean that Sho is weak and is not capable of protecting himself, he did not once attempt to defend himself. That's when Fighter jumped in to save Sho, and I am grateful that he did.

Fighter locked Leo's arms from behind and pulled him away from Sho, Leo was still throwing blows and kicks in the process Fighter lost balance and fell back, bringing Leo along with him to the ground. Fighter took the opportunity to pin Leo down by rolling over him and lying on his back.

"Leo calm down," Fighter said

"The fuck I will not, I'm gonna kill that bastard" Leo yelled, he was wailing.

I did not think I was gonna be alive to see this day, two best friends and partners fighting. One trying to kill the other because the other had taken advantage of his loyalty.

"I know brother, I know, I know it hurts but it's not the time to take it on this asshole, think about Cake, we need to figure out a way to save her. You, me, and Neab, we can do it. He is not worth it Leo"

Leo buried his face in the grass and continued crying, now he wasn't wailing anymore, it was more like whimpering, but his sobs were enough to tell everyone how hurt he was and how worried he was about Cake.

Fighter slowly loosened his grip and brought his hand to slightly tap on Leo's head. "That's it big guy, there you go, we can do this, you can do this, you need to stay clear to save her"

Fighter rolled over and lay flat on the ground, he gasped for air, I walked up to them and gave Fighter a hand. He stood up and then I checked on Leo, come on Leo, we have a lot of work to do. We both helped him stand up, while he hugged me and cried, and comforted him.

I knew Leo had feelings for Cake, but Leo is a Playboy, no one can deny that I might have assumed that what he had with Cake was also just a fling, but now I wonder how much he feels for her. Because at this moment he is not just expressing how much he cares about Cake and worries for her, but he is also deeply hurt by Sho's betrayal.

I took Leo in, while I saw Sho from the side of my eye as he grabbed Fighter's arm. He asked something to him, Fighter yanked himself free and replied something back. I'm sure they are talking about something that Leo and I are not aware of, it's all gonna come to light anyhow, right now Leo needs me.

I bring him to the dining table and put a few slices of bread with peanut butter and jelly spread on it, just the way he likes it. But he isn't even looking at the plate, Leo is always the first one to start when food is served, looking at him in this state hurts me.

"Where were you when it happened?" Leo asked.

"I was the first one to notice that she was in trouble. I tried yelling through the QDX but, seems like Sho had stolen the master and swapped it with an alternative. I lost connection and she was not able to hear me, no one was able to hear me. Then I saw Fighter running towards the ship and I thought he was the one to betray us. I was about to shoot when Cake was knocked out, then Sho showed up behind me and told me not to, when I tried anyway, he injected me with a tranquillizer and carried me here, I don't remember much until this morning"

Leo didn't say anything, but I know he believed that I at least tried to help her.

" Leo, I am so sorry that I wasn't able to help her," I said

" It's not your fault Neab, every single one of us where fooled"

I just put my head down

" Neab, your device, that thingie that looks like a soda can," he said with his eyes filled with hope

" The DBND? "

" Yes, we can use that to find Cake"

A light bulb flashed in my head as well, but it immediately went dim when I realized it hasn't been perfected yet.

" I've been working on it for years Leo, I've not been able to figure out what I need to do to make it work"

" You can take help from Fighter, he knows stuff about computers doesn't he"

" We have been collaborating, but we still haven't figured it out yet"

" What can I do? Neab please, I am desperate, I need to know where she is, and that's the one way we will be able to locate her"

" Well, I've always tried to look for only one person on it, what if Cake is the key, what if it works when we try looking for her"

Leo's face lit up, but just after saying that one word I felt my heart sink, because I found the answer, it wasn't that DBND was a failure, after Fighter's help with the Hexa code, the DNBD was somewhat perfected, but the one person I was trying to find, I was unable to spot them. Only meaning the Person I am trying to look for isn't alive anymore. Now I understand why my father was against me creating this device, he didn't want me to know that ... That my brother, my twin brother was dead.