Chapter Ten:

"Do you believе in miracles
We can achieve the impossible
Just give me a sign, a sign of life
Cause maybe I'm a Dreamer,
I'm a Dreamer"

Dreamer- Brave the Royals

"Meliodas, it's them. They were the ones that," Before Azrielle could finish her sentence, Meliodas was already pulling her back into the dark of the alley.

"Come on Angel, we're busting out of here!" Meliodas picks Azrielle up and begins sprinting down the alley. He jumps from wall to wall, easily carrying the frightened girl to the rooftops.

The air is filled with the sounds of cheering peasants and the clinking of metal armor. Ignorant of the guard captain's intentions, people cheer as he dismounts from his horse and begins surveying the area.

She wouldn't be able to hide from him, not again. His queen would have his head if he were to let something so valuable slip through his fingers once again.

"Search the area! Find the girl with white hair!" His booming voice is heard even over the roar of laughter from the crowd, everyone still blissfully unaware of the treachery soon to commence.

Meliodas remains focused on his task as he continues to jump from roof to roof. Not even stopping as he grabs a garment from a passing closeline.

"I can't believe I am saying this, but you need to cover yourself, Angel." Meliodas smiles cheekily, claiming Azrielles nerves as she tugs the battered cloak over her head.

"What are we to do?" Her small voice is that of a whisper, but Meliodas still smiles brightly, "We're going to climb over the walls!"

>>>

"You can't hide forever, Holy Knight. When I find you I am going to twist, tear open your armor, and pulverize it right along with you!"

The young boy's father whimpers in fear as I glance over at Meliodas with wide eyes, "She is being completely honest right now." The little boy trembles in my arms as Meliodas sighs, "Why don't you hold me like that?"

"You've never asked."

Elizabeth turns to us, her eyes wide with worry, "What is going on here? Did something happen to Lady Diane when she went to Baste prison?"

Meliodas simply hums, "Whatever it was it really made her nuts." His green eyes cut back over to me once more, "Let Elizabeth look after the kid so you can guard everyone. I'll be right back."

I nod in understanding, passing the boy over as Meliodas stands, only for him to suddenly stop and point his finger at me, "And limit yourself to just fighting, you're still weak."

I go to protest, but the captain is already running off.

"What were the two of you doing all the way out here?" Elizabeth begins to wipe tears off the frightened child's face as I lean back next to them.

"We both work as shepherds in the area, and we were on the way home from the pasture." I tilt my head in confusion, rubbing my eyes. Maybe it's because there is so much sin in the area, but I feel as if the boy is lying.

That doesn't make any sense though, why would a little boy lie about something like that- especially at a time like this? I must be wrong.

"Please," He continues to cry, "I don't want anything bad to happen."

"Don't worry," I begin to soothe as my eyes glow, "It's going to be all right." Mixed emotions cloud the boy's mind. Small traces of fear, but all so disgust, resentment, and even pride. There is something really strange going on here, I'll have to be cautious.