Chapter 19

Phalen left as soon as they returned to the bungalow. He was gone for about three hours. He was smiling when he opened the door and greeted Flix.

"You look chipper," said Flix. "What did you turn up?"

"Well," said Phalen, "people out here are like folks everywhere. Act interested and grease a few palms, and suddenly, the information starts flowing your way. Granted, what they say may not be truthful, but words start pouring out of their mouths like water from an artesian well."

"And what have you discovered by dropping your pail down into these wells?" Flix asked.

"Kimball had a kid," said Phalen. "The kid, a boy, is grown now. He's in his early twenties."

"Is he still back East?" asked Flix.

"No," said Phalen. "From what I've been able to ferret out, both mother and son followed Kimball west."

"Interesting," muttered Flix.

"Everyone seems to have lost track of the son," said Phalen, "but I have his mother's address."

He held up a piece of tattered paper with penciled markings.

"Only thing I could find to write it down on," said Phalen. "I'm afraid it's rather soiled."

"Never mind that," said Flix. "Do you think we can find the mother's house?"

"Well," said Phalen, "I'm sure someone who is from this area can help us out if we get lost."

"Come on. Let's go."

The two men went back to their waiting automobile. With Phalen at the wheel, they set off in search of the nearest service station. As Flix watched the attendant put in the gas in the car's tank, he casually remarked that he was looking up a long lost cousin. The gas attendant gladly gave Flix directions to the neighborhood, after a bill passed hands, and Flix paid for the gas. Flix got back into the car.

"Let's hope this isn't a wild goose chase," he said.