Chapter 12

"Well," said Flix, "you certainly look like the cat that swallowed the mouse."

"I feel like one. I had a great time, Cupid. Monrova is more beautiful in person than she appears on screen, don't you think?"

"I think Lilly Dick is very lovely," Flix said.

"Who's Lilly Dick? That old bag you sat beside at dinner?" Phalen asked.

"Never mind," said Flix.

"Well, are you going to make me beat it out of you or was Alfred the Great's offer as magnificent as his estate?"

"We have a deal," said Flix. "Well, at least the beginnings of one. These things are complicated and take time. I never realized all that goes into making films. It's more than just pointing the camera and shouting 'action.' And I want to be sure that Steppson is true to our story. You should have heard some of the wild things that man suggested during our conversation. I wanted to laugh out loud."

"But Steppson doesn't look like the type who would enjoy the joke if it was at his expense," said Phalen.

"Which is exactly why I remained as solemn as a judge."

"Where did you two disappear to after dinner?" said Phalen.

"Steppson conducts his affairs in his own cozy speakeasy a couple of stories below ground."

"Really?" said Phalen. "I think a speakeasy in the basement is probably the most normal thing in the world for a man like him. He really doesn't come off as the opera and ballet type. He's more the fists and gutter and alley kind of guy."

"No," said Flix, "he is not sophisticated that way. But don't let looks fool you. Steppson is shrewd and smart. You don't get all this," Flix waved his hands, "by being the dimmest bulb in the box."

"You're right," Phalen said. "If he had to claw his way from the bottom, he had to be smart. I wonder what his wife sees in him. They don't look like compatible partners to me."

"Looks aren't everything. Steppson is a powerful man," said Flix. "She is younger, but I'll bet he had his fortune and the studio established before she came into the picture. Remember how he talked about the fact she doesn't complain when he buys her exotic fish? My guess is he built all to please her. To keep her, maybe. I can't say. Who knows? Maybe it's all just for show. I don't know. Money. Power. All the social trappings that come with it. For some women, that alone would make Alfred Steppson irresistible."

"Mmm," said Phalen. "What does our schedule look like tomorrow?"

"Well," said Flix, "mine is pretty full. I am to meet with Steppson first thing in the morning. You are pretty much free to do as you please. I'm sure Emory could see to it that a car is provided for you to use."

"You're right," said Phalen. "I think I'll ask him. I'm glad I came out here with you, Cupid. I think the change of scenery will do me good."

"And seeing more of Miss Monrova will not hurt either," said Flix.

"Not one bit," said Phalen.