6

The sun shone brighter than ever that morning, all you could see was the glowing heat in a purple haze through your eyelids.

You immediately snapped them open, realising you'd fallen asleep slouched against the outside wall. And partly leaning on your new friend.

You quickly lifted your head from Newt's shoulder, suddenly feeling a little awkward and embarrassed. You'd both fallen asleep together, which meant you'd left the others unguarded.

Quietly, you pulled yourself up, trying not to make a loud noise as your feet crunched against the gravel around you.

You made your way into the refuge, feeling your throat tighten as it dawned on you how eerily quiet the place was compared to how you left it the night before.

You gripped your gun, gently pushing open the door, preparing for the worse.

Instead, you were surprised to find all the boys in a heap in the old staff room, sleeping sprawled all over. It was a funny sight to see, you'd never really seen anything like it before. It was almost crank like.

You were about to close the door when you heard a boy grunt below you.

"Mmm..." He groaned, "Is it morning already?"

"Yep, wake up sleepyhead."

The voice came from behind you startling you, you jumped back, then realised that it was only Newt.

He smirked at your reaction and you hit him back playfully. His brown eyes sparkling at the sight of you.

Still smiling, Newt lowered himself and held a hand out to the boy on the floor, pulling him up. The other boy complained a little but eventually gave in to Newt and stood up beside him.

"Y/n," Newt declared, "This is Minho."

You gave Minho a little nod.

"In the maze, Minho was our best runner," Newt explained, "Him and Thomas are doing the navigating but maybe it'd be best if you helped them seeing as your the expert with the locals."

You nodded again as Minho's face curled into a smirk, "Nice to meet you too, sweetheart."

He was a sarcastic sort of guy, a little slimy. But you liked him already.

It was a little weird to be suddenly talking to so many boys, and ones your age too. It was like you were almost becoming a normal teenager.

"Shall we wake the others then? Or do you want to wait a little longer?" Minho turned to Newt.

Newt just shrugged, then glanced outside to look at the sun.

"It looks like mid-morning," Newt judged, "Maybe we should."

Minho nodded, grinning.

He then walked back into the room, still smiling, and starting clapping his hands, telling the rest of the 'Gladers' (as they called themselves) to 'wakey wakey'

You chuckled to yourself as Minho did so and before you knew it, the others were rounded up and preparing themselves for a new day.

You, Newt, Minho and Thomas left the room to plan your route, and after about five minutes you had everything planned.

"Alright." Thomas announced, "Let's start running."