9

You woke up feeling a cold breeze, which was odd considering you lived in one of the hottest places in earth.

Your cheek was pressed against the floor and your body was laid on its side. Your throat was dry and you felt tired still, but you were alive.

Slowly, you opened your eyes.

You were immediately met by the faces of four boys looking directly at you. They all confused and then slightly relieved that you were awake again.

"Oh, so you're finally awake." Newt smirked.

Sarcasm was highly popular with these boys.

You wiped your eyes and looked around, fully processing the situation. It seemed the source of the cold breeze was Minho holding a mini battery fan.

"See, I told you it would work." He whispered to the unknown boy with the first aid kit beside you.

You smiled at his childishness and then turned to Newt who still looked a little worried. You didn't remember much but you remembered him being there.

"What happened after I blacked out?" You asked, suddenly getting the shivers as soon as you remembered the crank.

You hardly ever saw one's that bad. Usually cranks stuck in packs, but when it was only one it meant that it was the last one left. And usually lone cranks were far past the gone.

"Well, you fainted." Newt began, turning away to hide the colour flushing his cheeks, "I brought you back inside, kept an eye on you. You were fast asleep."

"And the crank's definitely dead?" You looked to him urgently.

Newt nodded, "You did a good job of that."

You breathed a sigh of relief. At least you didn't have to worry about that. Cranks didn't usually bother you, but when you were tired things always seemed worse.

"So we're back to running today?" You asked, dreading it.

"Yep, just over 50 miles left." Minho confirmed.

You sighed, shutting your eyes again.

"But we are passing through the main city today," Minho continues, "So we will need to keep an eye out for cranks."

Gradually, you pulled yourself up. The others had stopped talking and had moved to sort out the other gladers. The pub was alive with people and you decided to hide in the girls toilets for a little while.

You sat on the edge of the sinks, kicking your feet back and forth. It was quite nice to have some time to yourself again, but it didn't last long.

When you came out, everyone was ready to go.

And you began the second day of running.