16

You woke up tired the next morning. It seemed since all this running, you could never get enough sleep. You turned over, trying to fall back asleep, but the others were too loud.

Instead of sleeping, you just lay there with your eyes shut, listening to the others talk. As you rested, you put names to each of the voices... Thomas, Charlie, James, Minho, Aris

But when you heard one specific person speak, you remembered what happened last night. Vivid images came back to you in a flurry.

White bandages. Brown eyes. Dark blood. Open wound. Warm breath. Close lips.

You groaned, realising how awkward it was going to be today. You couldn't be bothered to deal with that, and the running, and the cranks.

"We're two days away from arriving," You heard Minho announce, "And they're gonna be the toughest yet."

You opened your eyes and sat forwards. Minho noticed you stirring and gave you an encouraging grin. He saw you and Newt the other night, he knew what no one else did.

You got yourself breakfast and made your way to the group of runners, not seeing Newt at all. And it started to worry you.

"Where is he?" You whispered to Minho, he would know what you were on about.

"After last night, he went out for some fresh air." Minho shrugged, "At least that's what he told me."

"What, out into the city?" You asked, your eyes widening with shock, "Does he have a death wish?"

"Seems so." Minho sighed and moved away, then proceeded to instruct some of the gladers, then he shouted back to you, "I wouldn't worry though, Newt always knows what he's doing. He's the most level headed out of us all."

You nodded, looking away.

Then Minho added, "I really don't think he'd be having a 'death wish' after what happened last night. If anything you've given him the opposite."

You felt the colour flush to your cheeks so quickly you turned away.

You helped Winston sort the food out into packs before you left, your eyes discreetly scanned the room still looking for Newt but there was no sign.

When he finally turned up, you were just about to leave. You were stood by Thomas when Newt jogged back into the room. Thomas gave him a smile but Newt didn't look so happy. He didn't even look at you, he just nodded at Thomas then disappeared just as quickly as he arrived.

You were about to follow him and ask him if we was alright when Thomas grabbed your arm and dragged you back to the bunch of boys stood waiting with their backpacks on, ready to run.

"Give him some time." Thomas gave you a sincere nod, "Okay?"

You nodded back, a little dazed.

And then before you knew it you were back on the scorch.

A million questions ran through your mind as you ran. Your feet pounded against the ground as you took out all your emotion in the exercise, speeding across the sand.

Why couldn't you talk to Newt? What was up with him? What were they not telling you?