Chapter 1- The Beginning of the End

Another blip. The monitor shows the soulrate as steady. A nurse writes down the results. The patient does not respond as a light is shined onto their face. [Response to stimuli: No] The nurse inspects the equipment. [All medical devices are in place and functioning properly]

They turn to a visitor, the only one who ever visits this particular patient. "There's still no change. Most coma patients recover, but there's no way to know right now. We'll schedule another brain scan in a few days if there's still no change." The nurse put a hand in the visitor's shoulder comfortingly. "Try talking to them. It may not do anything, but many families have said it helps." And with that, they exited the room.

The visitor gently held the patient's hand. "I'm sorry. This isn't your fault. It's mine, and I'm gonna fix this, no matter what."

Fresh flipped through the very limited folders on the operatives he was assigned for this mission. They were nearly blank, only containing a name, picture, and brief description of their magic abilities. Blue, Cross, Dream, Dust, Error, Geno, Horror, Ink, Killer, Lust, Nightmare, and Reaper. 12 in total; 13 counting himself. A small army by some standards, but they'd need a large army to stop what was coming.

The powers covered everything from healing, data corruption, mild hypnotism, and a literal death touch. All very could be very useful in different situations, depending on the specifics of how they worked, which were of course, completely absent from the documents.

There was of course, one stand out power. A werewolf. Weres we're known to be dangerous and unpredictable, often attacking friends during their shifts. That didn't sit well with Fresh, wolves should be muzzled and contained, not trusted for anything even near as important as this. Not that there was much choice in the matter here.

He focused back on the papers overall. Presumably the information was scarce to prevent any leaks from helping the enemy.

He looked across the desk to his new boss. "I trust you can handle the assignment," they said, face concealed by shadows from the very conveniently dim lighting. They were a skeleton like him, but beyond that, he didn't know anything else.

"With all due respect, broski, you're putting the fate of all time into the hands of amateurs. There's a negative percent change they can do it."

"With zero respect, this is our only shot. They already know almost all our operatives. This is a handpicked group of individuals who they will never see coming," came the reply.

That made one thing incredibly clear to the field agent, it didn't matter if these people made it home alive. Taking people who still had a part to play in the future never goes unpunished, but taking people who were going to disappear anyway... well, it was virtually untraceable.

"Listen brotato, teaching is not my forte, if you catch the drift. I'd suggest getting someone's who's down to teach." All those things were true, but he was of course, just trying to get out of it with little conflict.

"Listen here, parasite. You will lead this team, or so help me, I will shove you back into the measly test tube you crawled out of." It was a clear threat. The boss did not mess around.

So they knew, he thought. Dropping the ridiculous accent, the parasite spoke. "I'll do it, if you destroy all records that could reveal what I am. I want a clean slate."

They thought for a minute. "If you succeed, all records will be destroyed, it'll be like you never existed."

There was a clanking sound to left and suddenly the wall opened up into a hallway, which Fresh was sure hadn't been there before.

The boss spoke again, knowing that he was confused. "It's time for you to meet your team. I'll be in touch. See you in a shortly." The unmistakable sound of a time warp echoed as they dissipated, leaving the new team leader alone.

He walked into the hallway, which was very short, only leading to a single room with a large one-way window allowing him to observe his newly gained subordinates. He drew in a large sigh. This might be tougher than he thought.

————
You have no idea how excited I am to start over on this project. This time, things are gonna be different. I won't get into how right now, but I have so many things planned, and I'm very excited for y'all to see how this story goes. See ya, imaginary people