Chapter 11 - Illusion of Choice

The sun set over streets filled with blood. Piles of dust littered the ground and felt like wet sand beneath his feet. The dimming light shining down reflecting upon the pools of blood only added to the red color, and the sky itself seemed to be stained by the bloodshed.

There were still bodies around, some human, some monsters that hadn't fully dusted yet. A noise came from one of them. It was a monster with goat-like features although Reaper had forgotten their appearance shortly after.

The speckled grey fur was drenched with blood as a clawed hand weakly extended toward him along the bricks where they were laying. "Help...please," came the weak cry.

Kneeling down beside the poor creature, Reaper could see it's eyes, nearly glazed over already. Even practically in the grave, they still continued to beg for their life.

Reaper held out his hand and, the goat monster used whatever strength it has left to grab it. And from the spot wher they touched, the doomed creature began to dust. They looked with a horrified expression to Reaper, flecks falling from their body onto the ground until for a brief moment only the soul remained.

As quickly as it appeared the soul crumbled leaving only a glimpse of shimmering light before it disappeared completely.

"Rest now," Reaper whispered.

When the rest of the group left, Reaper was not concerned. There wasn't any reason to be. The five of them staying back seemed logical. Sci and Error were working to set up one of the screen things. Ink sat upside down on a chair, legs hooked over the back. Dream was with Epic grabbing some medical supplies. That just left Reaper, who didn't want to interfere.

He never tried to be in the way. Unfortunately, fate always seemed to have other plans for him.

"Hey, do you have a minute to help me organize the medical supplies?," Dream asked, holding a large stack of stuff that Reaper had no idea what most of it could be.

"I can try," he responded.

Dream sorted one of each object into its own area, starting small piles. Reaper matched each object into its pile.

It was awkwardly quiet until Dream broke the silence. "Geno gave me a book about future medical supplies, it's been really useful."

Remembering something he'd heard before, Reaper asked "Don't you have a healing power?"

The other's smile faltered for just a second, barely noticeable. "I'd prefer not to use it if I don't have to." It quickly went back to the silence.

Through all of that, Error and Sci were still fiddling with the computer, that's what it was called.

"Stupid piece of shit!" Sci shouted. He was angry enough that Reaper actually thought he might kick the offending machine.

"Uhh, what's the prob?," Epic asked.

"The thing isn't working! I can't get in contact with anyone from the other group."

"Try pulling up the troubleshooting menu; probably just needs to have the program reset."

With a few taps, the thing displayed a few different images until one was deemed satisfactory.

"So, what's your problem?," Ink asked Reaper, still sitting as improperly as ever.

"Anything living that I touch dies," he answered.

"Well, no duh. Everything dies. I remember dying sometimes." The artist seemed far away now, staring through rather than at him. "Anyway, did you notice that there's a rainbow outside?"

In all his years, never had Reaper met anyone as unsettling as Ink. Still, he attempted to explain more. "My powers absorb energy from living beings"

"Turn it off then. I don't see the problem"