Chapter 19 - Spaceships Make Terrible Escape Rooms

"30. Take it or leave it," the shopkeeper said.

"You gave me 45 two days ago," Error argued.

"That's the thing with supply and demand. The price is variable. Now scram."

Error gathered up the assortment of circuit boards and walked out. Now these things were worthless. Not many people would buy stolen goods, but xe couldn't afford to let that asshole short xem.

Such is the way of the world. The rich maintain their wealth by controlling the market. Error felt it happen before it happened. Xyr entire body seized up and it felt like static in xyr head. It took a minute for Error to regain control. These episodes were starting to happen more frequently.

Nonetheless, Error continued back to the abandoned building that xe was currently taking up residence in. The television turned on to the telenovela xe had grown quite fond of. It was a nice escape but it wouldn't fix anything.

Error wasn't thrilled to be leaving the relative safety of the ship. "Did you really drown an entire ship crew?"

"Of course not. It's against our laws to drown them. They got tired of swimming and drowned on their own," Color answered. "All shifters have a code. We don't kill mortals. We don't get involved in their disputes until they bother us."

"Is that why you tried to kill us?" Nightmare asked sarcastically.

"I wasn't trying to kill you. I just wanted to prove a point. If I wanted to kill you, I would have drowned you," the mer responded.

Shifters were always too confusing to understand. Except for Killer, he was chill.

Color grabbed Cross's hand and pressed a scale into his palm. The pirate jumped back when he knew what is was. "I can't accept this," he said.

"It's nothing like that," Color assured him. "But if you ever come across other mers, show them the scale and they'll help you."

Cross embraced the other. "Thank you." The rest of what he said was too quiet to hear, but Color playfully punched Cross in the shoulder.

"Don't be a stranger. Whenever you get back to your time, I hope we can be friends again."

Error felt someone bump into xem. "Sorry," Sci apologized. "I should probably watch where I'm going more." He had a notebook and was scribbling down something.

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to figure out why the flux sent us here, and how we ended up just happening to be safe and together. Seems like a bit too much of a coincidence for me."

"Oh, that's easy," Color interjected. "I moved the ship to where you would fall."

"But how did you know to do that?" Sci asked.

The mer shrugged. "I just knew I needed to."

The scientist seemed to be losing his mind. "But that doesn't make sense! How would you know to do something to be prepared for a situation that hasn't happened yet?!"

"Transient memory," Classic said. "It's very common. People who are around flux points or are around time travelers often enough can gain memories from events they haven't witnessed yet. They say it feels like Deja Vu."

There was more scribbling on the notepad. "How much more is there that I don't know?"

It did always feel like there was so much more than anyone could ever remember and Error's head hurt just thinking about all of it.

"A lot. We have academy for like two years before we get to be in the field," Geno answered. "And then you have to be assigned a mentor who you stay with for at least another year before you actually do anything on your own. Not sure how exactly it is for tech."