1 | 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒈𝒖𝒚

🌑

...🌑...

PRESENT, Mystics Falls

𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟗

Cold.

It was like a piercing glare on my back, stopping me in my tracks. I turned my gaze to my balcony doors as the feeling of being watched washed over me.

"Selene?"

I turned from the double doors to my bedroom. "Yes, Mom."

"You're going to be late."

I grabbed my bag from my desk. "I'm ready."

"Caroline is waiting outside." Mom explained.

She furrowed her brows at me with concern resting against the opening. The same concern I've been trying to avoid for the last few days.

"Mija, are you sure you're okay?"

I nodded, pulling on my black leather jacket. "I'm fine."

Mom didn't look convinced.

I took after her with similar brown eyes and dark brown hair.

On the other hand, my sister looks more like our dad. At least that's what Mom told us, but that's where the conversation ends.

She never talks about him, only that he's alive and staying away means keeping me and my sister safe.

"It's your first year without your sister in the same school." Mom explained. She pulled my long curly brown hair out of my collar. "Not to mention, your ascension is a year away."

I followed her out of my room and down the hall. "I know."

Mom pulled open the front door, and I walked out into the frigid August morning.

I closed my eyes, felt my fingers twitch as I could feel the magic in nature, and exhaled.

"You know I want the best for you." Mom said, breaking my connection.

I turned to her and nodded. "I know." I grabbed her hand, squeezing it. "You know I can take care of myself."

"Just be on your guard," Mom told him, brushing a wisp of curls off my cheek from the wind.

"I will." I smiled. She pulled me into a hug and kissed my forehead. "I'll see you after school."

"I love you," Mom murmured against my hair.

I rushed down the stairs as Caroline honked her horn. "Love you too."

"A minute later, and we'll be late," Caroline said, pulling out of my driveway.

I leaned back in my seat, glancing out the window. "Sorry." The cold erupted across my skin, causing me to shiver. "You're the only one excited for the first day of school."