4 | 𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒖𝒂𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓'𝒔 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒚

🌑

...🌑...

PRESENT, Mystics Falls

𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟗

"Let's try on the next one."

I grabbed the dark blue skirt and stepped off the white-raised platform. I let fellow witches strip me of the gown before shoving my arms and head through a new gold gown. The gold sparkled against the sun of the great room that turned into a mini boutique.

I moved from behind the folding screen and felt two maids grab the golden white trail so it didn't hit the floor. I stepped onto the platform and looked into the mirror; all I saw was a frown etched into my lips.

"Hmm?" Mom crossed her arms as she looked at me in the dress. "I don't think that's right for your ascension."

"My ascension is half a year away," I told her.

"No, your ascension is in three months." Mom explained.

I whipped my gaze. "What?"

"I know we always waited months after a witch's birthday in the past, but with you being the future Queen..." Mom stepped on the platform and straightened the crown. "...the council and I decided to do it on your birthday."

"I'll only be seventeen," I said.

Mom nodded. "I know." She grasped my arms. "But that was how old I was and your grandmother before you. It's our cross to bear."

"Are you going to tell me how you know Damon?" I asked.

Mom looked away, not meeting my gaze, and wished she would tell me the truth. I needed to understand because, for some reason, I had a connection to him. I need to know if I should trust this feeling and if the only two people who could give me what I want hate each other.

"I can't." Mom said. "Not until after the ascension." Mom brushed wisps of my dark brown hair out of my face. "Just stay away from him. Promise me."

I could hear the desperation in her voice and slowly nod. "I promise."

"I have one more dress for you to try on." Mom said. "Then I have to head over to the Lockwood's."

I walked back until behind the folding screen and let maids strip me of the dress, praying that this would be the last one. I didn't even look at the dress as they pulled it over my head and straightened the sleeves before I moved back to the platform.

I gasped as a pale blue, almost silver dress reflected in the mirror. The sleeves are off the shoulder and a pale blue see-through with gold embroidered in swirls that stand out against the pale silvery blue. My gaze trails the plunging neckline that stops below my ribcage before flowing out in silvery blue skirts with a slit in the side with swirls of gold etched against the edges of the skirts wrapping around each other like a cloud of gold.