3 | 𝒆𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒂'𝒔 𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒚

🌑

...🌑...

PRESENT, Mystics Falls

𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟗

"I'm not saying don't date the guy. I'm just saying, take it slow."

"You were the one who said to go for it."

I shoved my sketchbook in my bag. "She's just being cautious, Elena."

"Why the about-face?" Elean wondered.

"It's not an about-face." Bonnie denied. "You're single for the first time in your entire high school career. It's the perfect time to play the field."

Elena laughed. "Oh, because I'm so that girl. Seriously, what are you guys not saying?"

I stopped beside and looked at my best friends. "It's nothing."

"Selene..." Elena sighed.

"I have a bad feeling," I explained, not meeting her gaze.

"Hmm." Elena raised a brow. "Is that all?"

I looked into her eyes and knew that she wasn't convinced. "Hey, we're just expressing concern for our best friend's boyfriend." I crossed my arms. "For all we know, he could be an ax murderer."

"And I love you both for it, I do." Elena began as she put her hand on Bonnie's shoulders and grabbed my hand. "But I feel good. It's been a hard year, and I'm starting to kind of feel like things are getting back to normal again. And you know what? Stefan is a big part of that."

I bit my tongue because I could see that Elena cared about Stefan a lot more than she wanted to admit. I wanted to be supportive, but I had a sick feeling that Stefan wasn't human, and if all the times he looked at me briefly in the hallway and a shiver went down my spine was an inclination, I knew exactly what he was.

A vampire.

"Good morning, Elena."

I felt Elena drop her hand as she smiled at her boyfriend.

He smiled. "Good morning, Bonnie and Selene."

"Hey, um, I gotta find Caroline." Bonnie rushed out. Her gaze looked wary at Stefan. "She's not answering her phone. So I'll see you guys later."

"Bonnie, wait." Elena frowned as Bonnie walked away.

I jerked my thumb behind me. "I'm going go too."

"Selene." Elena started.

"Look, I've got to turn my art assignment in before the bell rings," I told her. I gave her arm a reassuring squeeze. "But I'll see you in class."