6 | 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒖𝒕𝒉

🌑

...🌑...

PRESENT, Mystics Falls

𝐎𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟗

"Sheriff?"

"I need you to come with us." Sheriff Forbes said.

My gaze fell from hers to Logan, standing a few feet away with a frown. "Why?"

"The vampires are back; we need the future Queen of Witches help." Caroline's mom, Liz, sighed.

"I don't have a choice, do I," I said.

Liz shook her head. "I'm afraid not. We would have asked your mom, but she's not here."

I grabbed my coat and shut the door behind me until it locked. "Lead the way."

It didn't take Liz long to get to the cemetery, and I could feel Logan's stare on me the whole way. The Fells always disliked that the council relied on the witches. It didn't help that his ancestors used to hunt us and contributed to the witch hunts.

"Never smelled one this bad before." Logan gagged.

I looked at the burnt bodies lining the cemetery and didn't move.

"It tried to cover its tracks," Liz explained, lifting the yellow tarp off one of the bodies.

"Are you sure?" Logan asked.

"I'm positive." Liz nodded. "You only burn a corpse to try to hide cause of death, and there no shell casings."

I could hear whispers in my ears of torment and pain. The voices screamed the name of their murder over and over so loud I almost flinched.

So much pain.

"We know who they are?" Logan asked, getting up and walking towards Liz.

"Doc's have to check their dental records," Liz explained. "Selene?"

I turned to her as the voices went away. "Hmm."

"Anything," Liz asked.

I looked between Logan and Liz. "You're going to need a bigger gun."

"I got the Gilbert watch," Logan explained.

"Yeah, that's not going to be enough to stop this vampire," I told them. "I can still hear their screams and unrest of their spirits as they try to cross over to the other side."

"Then you're staying with us until we finish this," Logan said.

I cocked a brow. "I'm only staying because Liz asked me to." I felt the wind roar around me, and Logan went pale. "Don't push me. Because you might find yourself missing a limb or two."