5 | 𝒂 𝒔𝒂𝒍𝒗𝒂𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒖𝒕𝒉

🌑

...🌑...

PRESENT, Mystics Falls

𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟗

I sipped from a mug and sat at the counter beside Jenna as she flipped through her notebook, writing what I could think was her research paper. 

"How long is your mom going to be gone this time?" Jenna asked.

"Three months." I sighed.

"You're always welcome here," Jenna told me.

I smiled. "Thanks, Jenna. But Shelia's coming to stay with me until my mom returns."

"Jenna!" Elena whispered-yelled. I furrowed my brows as she rushed into the kitchen. "Are you aware of what's going on upstairs?"

"Uh-huh." Jenna nodded, turning back to her newspaper.

"And you have no objection?" Elena questioned as she threw her jacket in the chair across from me.

Jenna chuckled. "He could be craftier about it, at least make an effort to sneak her in and out. Oh, and just so you know, I won't be home for dinner."

I leaned back and smiled. "You're going out with Logan?"

"I'm going to show up and torture him, yes," Jenna smirked. She turned to Elena. "And have you heard from Stefan?"

"Not since he left that very vague message three days ago," Elena said. "'Hi, um, Elena, I, um, have something I have to do. I'll, uh, explain in a few days.'"

I looked at my coffee because I knew that Stefan was dealing with Damon, and as much as I tried to push him from my mind, I just couldn't.

"Haven't you called him?" Jenna asked, sipping her coffee, trying to hide her smile.

"Nope. Not going to either." Elena told her.

I lift my gaze. "And you're okay with that."

"No, I'm not okay with any of it," Elena ranted. "But I'm not gonna cry about it, either. You know, I was going to write in my diary this morning, and then I thought, what am I going to write? Honestly, I'm not gonna be one of those pathetic girls whose world stops spinning because of some guy."

I blinked as Elena slammed the cereal box on the counter and shoved the cereal-filled spoon into her mouth. "Right."

"Okay then," Jenna said, getting up from the counter.

"I'll be fine," Elena said before leaving the kitchen with her bowl of cereal. 

I left my seat and put my empty mug into the sink as my phone rang. I walked out of the kitchen, not recognizing the number, and put it to my ear.