Fan Club

In case you aren't aware, I am a fan of reading. Well, on Earth, I used to be a fantastic reader, until technology swept me away. Now that I'm a citizen in Berry Bitty City, my love for reading has returned, all thanks to Blueberry including me in her book club. But there is another club of Blueberry's I want to join. It's Blueberry's Patti Persimmon fanclub. Yes, fanclub.

As soon as I heard this was a thing, I knew I needed to join. In order to get in, you need to be an avid reader like her, enjoy Patti Persimmon mystery novels, never speak about them in a negative way or Blueberry will kick you out, and you have to dress up in detective outfits. Joining this club would be a dream come true. Watching Blueberry go crazy over her favorite series is such a treasure. That's why I have to be as professional as can be when applying, because I'm approaching the bookstore right now. I take a deep breath and knock on the door twice.

[knock] [knock]

But Blueberry isn't opening. I see her inside, typing away on her blueberry-themed laptop. That's when she's in her zone and nothing can break her out of it. I remember what she said about not barging into people's homes, but I already know what she's doing, so I turn the knob and open it, causing the bell above the door to ring. Blueberry doesn't notice it, she's typing so much.

Me: Uh, Blueberry, you have a visitor: Me. I hope it's okay that I entered without knocking. Well, I did knock, it's just that... Blueberry?

I walk up to her and... I have no idea what she's doing. She is just staring at the screen, clacking away at the keys, muttering to herself like a zombie.

Blueberry: And then... This happens... No, no... Uh... What...? That's not... Yeah...

I place my hand in front of her face but she doesn't pay attention to it.

Me: Blueberry?

I look at her laptop and realize there's only one thing to do. I move her hands away from the keyboard and close the laptop, but not before saving her work. When the laptop closes, Blueberry jolts and scrambles around like she woke up from a nightmare. Then she sees me.

Blueberry: Coconut, what are you doing here?

Me: I'll explain that, after you explain why you were staring at the screen like a zombie.

Blueberry looks down at her laptop and takes a deep sigh.

Blueberry: I did it again.

Me: What did you do?

Blueberry: I was busy writing my... ahem... fanfiction, and whenever I do, I get so caught up, I lose track of time and reality.

She slumps down into the blueberry sofa.

Blueberry: But it's not my fault. I have so much I want to write, and there are only so many hours in a day.

Me: When do you even have the time to do this stuff?

Blueberry: I have to make time. As a die-hard Patti Persimmon fan, it wouldn't make sense for me to just collect merch and read her books. I also write made-up stories, and draw art of her.

There is a strange relief inside me that is thankful Blueberry is a mystery nut and not some other... genre.

Me: I'm not going to judge. I'm actually here because I want to join your Patti Persimmon fanclub.