Where, Oh, Where Has Our Blueberry Gone

Lemon, Raspberry and I are hanging out at the gazebo, playing Would you Rather.

Me: Would you rather... be able to see ten minutes into the future or ten years?

Lemon: I would say... ten minutes. Ten years is too far.

Raspberry: Why would you want to see the future anyway?

Me: Because, aren't you curious to see where your life would be in ten years?

Raspberry: No. I like being in the present.

Me: But you have to choose an option. Ten minutes or ten years.

Raspberry: Well, I choose my own option, and that's right now. There's not another time I'd rather be in.

Lemon and I groan.

Lemon: Oh, Raspberry, this is supposed to be a fun game.

Me: You're not actually going into the future.

Raspberry: I know, but I still stand by my answer.

Then, from out of nowhere, the Berrykin Princess races inside the gazebo and collapses in front of us. We gasp.

Raspberry: Oh my!

Lemon: It's the princess!

I scoop the princess in my arms.

Me: Princess, are you okay?

Princess Berrykin: [pants] I'm fine! I've just been running for so long!

Me: Do I need to take you to my clinic?

Princess Berrykin: Thank you, Coconut, but I am in no need of medical assistance. But... [looks at Lemon and Raspberry] There is something I must tell you, and only you.

I look at Lemon and Raspberry.

Me: We'll finish this game later.

They nod and I race to my clinic with the princess in hand. She hops onto my treatment table, and I have so many questions for her.

Me: Did you talk to your ancestors? What did they say? Where's your sceptre?

Princess Berrykin: Hold on, Dominic. I need a moment to rest. What happened out there in that forest are situations I'd rather forget.

I sit myself down.

Me: What happened?

Princess Berrykin: King Vorthrax. He's much stronger now.

That's not something I want to hear.

Me: I-I don't understand. How come?

Princess Berrykin: We engaged in a fierce battle, but I was ultimately defeated, and my sceptre shattered. Somehow there was still some magic left and he used it to rebuild himself... but stronger.

Me: How much stronger?

Princess Berrykin: Wipe out an entire forest stronger.