Not your Barbie Girl

*Helia*

After the first practice laps we had gone for lunch, then back to the pits. Nio, Thilo, Franky and I had made a few changes to the setup for tomorrow, before we talked through a few more things and then made our way to the hotel.

We had just arrived at the hotel when a loud "Heli!", made everyone cringe.

"Kevy!", I replied laughing, turning around and being run over by my best friend in the next moment.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and lifted me up while hugging me tightly. I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck and returned the hug. He pressed his face against my shoulder and I dropped my head onto His.

"Knew that was you in the Red Bull before me." he growled, interjecting much more quietly "You finally did it." he wrapped his arms around my back even tighter "Shit, I'm so proud of you.".

I really hadn't expected him to drop that sentence just then. Shit, I had said it to him back when he had gotten his first cockpit in Formula 1.

I tried to swallow the tears, but didn't manage it, at the latest when he followed it up with a "Red Bull, just like your dad, shit, that's perfect."

Now I burst into tears and clung even tighter to my best friend. He slowly let me slide to the ground.

We just stood there for a long time.

"I can't believe we actually both made it," he whispered.

I nodded. If he hadn't gotten a cockpit at Haas last year, he would have joined me in Indy Car. There had even been a good chance that we would have ended up on the same team. I was devastated when he didn't come. Of course I was happy for him, but I had really hoped to finally be able to race with him again, at least in a series.

The fact that we would now have much more time together again overwhelmed me, because I had thought of this fact the very least in the last few hours.

I hugged him tighter once more before breaking away from him and wiping along under my eyes.

"This was always our dream," I whispered almost reverently.

He nodded and now also wiped under his eyes long "When I tell Lu..." he smirked "She and Laura have to come to the first race. The two of us racing at the same time on the same track hasn't happened in 10 years.".

"10 years? Man, we're getting old!"

"We are old! I'm 30!"

"Stop it, I don't want to hear that!", I laughed and pressed my hands over my ears.

I had really missed fooling around with him. He grinned and gently boxed me against the shoulder, and I slumped against him a bit.

"But don't let us get in each other's way on the track," he smirked.

"Your Haas is a tractor against my Red Bull.".

"Does he have a name yet?" he put his arm over my shoulder and pulled me along.

"Not yet. I haven't even had time to think about it yet."

He flopped down on one of the couches and pulled me next to him "How about Kevin?" he laughed.

"No. I was thinking of something more dangerous. Beast or something?"

"And you're the beauty who tames the beast?" he laughed, now I was boxing at him.

"I'm sure that would be a hit marketing-wise," Nio slid down on the sofa next to us.

"I'm more of not a Disney princess," I laughed.