Chapter 5 - Making a Deal with the Daughter

My chin sat on the palm of my hand as I sat at my desk in my room, reading through all those medications. I circled the two that he needed to take, but all the others... they had to go. Would it be terrible if I snuck into his room, went into his bathroom, and took all the pills? I had no idea on how else to get them from him, aside from telling him that he would die if he continued what he was doing. I didn't want to go there just yet.

I let out a long, exaggerated sigh, a little frustrated. I was a nurse for crying out loud! I should know how to handle this since I had done it before with other patients.

But my other patients weren't Elvis Presley.

After Elvis left for the kitchen after my assessment of him, I never saw him, even for meals, for the rest of the day. He was away in his activity building in the backyard, according to Vernon. He sometimes would spend the whole day in there when he wasn't busy with work. Right now, he was in an in-between period where he could spend some time at home before his next huge thing, which was his tour starting on August 16th. Would I have to go with him on that? I had no idea. It would be wise to ask him. Maybe finding him in that activity house wouldn't be a bad idea.

I looked at my little clock on my desk. 7:14. Now would be a good time. According to what I was told, Elvis was alone in that back building, and come later, his friends and family could join him for some fun until all hours.

My mind made up, I left my room and found my way into the backyard. The sun was lowering below the trees, so there was a pleasant orange-yellow glow that faded up into light-blue. I crossed the lawn into the lowering light, heading to the building, and I eyed the fields of this huge property.

"Wow, it's so beautiful. I'm so thankful that my window has this view."

I came to a gate and went through it. The building was another house, essentially, and was two stories. I opened the door and came in and saw a large room with wooden flooring, like a mini-basketball court. I instantly heard piano playing.

I followed the music and came into a lounge area that was next to the court, separated by glass panes

I followed the music and came into a lounge area that was next to the court, separated by glass panes. Elvis sat there at a stand-up piano. I stood next to one of the large brown leather chairs behind him and listened.

What a treat this was, to hear him play the piano in person. I went to those concerts, but this beat all of them since he was literally about fifteen feet away from me. Tears bleared my vision as I listened to this unfamiliar beautiful tune.

He suddenly stopped playing and looked behind him at me. My heart jumped. My mouth opened to speak, but he beat me to it. "You like it? The playin'?"

I nodded. "Yes, of course. That song was wonderful. I apologize for just walking in when you probably wanted to be alone. I just needed to talk to you about your schedule for the next couple months, but... we can talk tomorrow."

He smirked, amused, and he turned himself around so he was sitting with the piano behind him. He was wearing what he was earlier in the day. "Now, why just walk away when you trekked all the way back here, huh?" He indicated one of the large chairs. "Sit."