Chapter 6 - Keeping an Eye Out on a Day Out

A few days passed, and Elvis was scheduled to meet the mayor of Memphis. I was in the living room preparing my nurse bag that doubled as my purse. Some of the guys of the Mafia were at the dining room table playing a card game, and Lisa was watching and making comments. Ginger was also with them but wasn't playing. She looked over at me and smiled. She stood up from the table and came over to me.

"Hey," she greeted me, and the clock on the mantle of the fireplace chimed ten o'clock. The meeting with the mayor was at eleven.

"Hi," I said and closed my bag. "Are you not coming with?"

"No. I don't know how I would be needed in a meeting with the mayor."

"This is an interview, and surely he would want to know more about Elvis's fiancé."

She shrugged. "Maybe. Elvis can just tell him about me. So... you're just gonna keep an eye on him? Medically?"

"Yes, that's the plan. While I'm a nurse, I can perform certain procedures that a doctor can, such as CPR, the Heimlich maneuver... God forbid that anything will happen. Plus, I've heard that Elvis sometimes sneaks a couple pills here and there. I'm going to make sure he doesn't do that."

She chuckled. "I bet he's gonna loves that."

I heard the sarcasm in her voice, and I laughed. "Yeah. Well, we both agreed that we both will be determined about this. Me, to get him well, and him... to fight me. We'll see who wins."

"It's a battle, then."

"I wouldn't call it that," we heard from the entryway and turned to see Elvis step off the stairs, and Vernon was helping him do so. Really, Elvis needed to be in a room that wasn't upstairs. I would bring that up later.

"Then what?" Ginger asked him as Lisa scampered to her father and gave him a hug by wrapping her arms around his torso.

"An agreement. She does her job, and I may choose or choose not to do what she asks."

"But, Daddy, you have to!" Lisa piped up, and he looked down at her. "If you don't wanna die young, do what Karen says!"

"Lisa!" Vernon chided, but Elvis only smirked. I applauded her for being forthright about it, but she probably said it to him before.

"I'm not gonna die, Lisa." He looked back up at us women, mainly at me. "Now, Karen, you can come along, b-but you may be pretty bored. We're just gonna be sittin' in a room talkin', and then there's a boring lunch after."

"I think a meeting with the mayor of Memphis with Elvis and having lunch with them is pretty exciting. I won't be bored at all."

Elvis pressed his lips together, like he wanted me to say, "Yes, you're right. I'll stay here," but I didn't. We gave each other competitive glances. Yes, I will make sure you get better, Elvis, mark my words. You're going to obey me and eventually give up those pills. I already made the plan to use the pill bank idea.

"I say let's get goin'," said Vernon."

"There're gonna be screaming fans and reporters everywhere," said Lisa. "That's why you're leaving early, right?"

"Yes, darlin'," Elvis said and kissed the top of her head. "You be good, okay?"

"No promises," she said, and most of us laughed, even some of the guys in the dining room.

"She's definitely your daughter, EP," Charlie hollered from his seat, and Elvis chuckled. He bent down a little and gave Lisa a hug, and I put a hand to my heart. It was so endearing, seeing him with his little girl. From what I read and seen in pictures, he was a good father. Now, I was seeing it in person. And Lisa adored her father. That was another incentive to help him get better.