Chapter 15: Goodbye

Chapter 15: The Hardest Part

Whitney POV:

Song- Breakeven: The Script

My mind knew better than to get my hopes up.

My heart didn't care to listen.

These feelings toward Harry seem to have that similar effect, always overpowering my logic. I'm not complaining because they do produce an indescribable sensation. I just wish that the side effects weren't so overwhelmingly evident.

The part where you sit there asking yourself why.

The afterwards when you end up in tears because things didn't work out the way you had planned.

The final glance that your entire existence now depends upon...

Moping around the house was the only thing easing the tension building up in the pit of my stomach. That didn't mean it helped with the other half, controlled by my unsteady heartbeat.

Before the only suffocating thought running through my mind was Harry leaving. But now an even more powerful one was surpassing it. Just thinking about it sent a shiver down my spine.

The possibility that we wouldn't get a proper goodbye.

Harry barely had time for the brief call this evening. I had just reached the car, dressed and ready to meet him. All for him to tell me not to come over today.

I did my best to sound not disappointed; I knew he must have felt bad enough as it was without me making him feel any worse. What was the point have been anyways? It wasn't his fault for one. Harry didn't exactly get a say when they decided to tweak the schedule last minute. Besides no matter how sad I was, or am about the news, it wasn't going to change reality.

Harry was going to have to stay at rehearsals today for longer than planned.

When I asked him how late the line went dead silent. His final words coming out in a rushed whisper:

"I promise I'll be there."

Harry was never one to break a promise but what if he didn't have a choice.

I need to see him. Wrap my fingers around his chestnut curls, graze my hand down his chilled jawline, and press my lips to his one last time before distance becomes an inevitable barrier.

But eight thirty turned into nine.

Ten.

Eleven.

I pulled my phone from the nightstand.

'No new messages.'

I told myself I wouldn't bother him but time keeps slipping away…Every passing second made my anxiety worsen, only meaning there would be less time to spend with him.

Unable to restrain any longer I pressed the one for speed dial, moments later the call went through. My heart fell uneasy with apprehension with every passing ring. Would he answer? What if he's still there...or already left?

The ringing suddenly ceased, the voice radiating from the line familiar but not the raspy one belonging to Harry.

"Hello Whitney."

I searched my mind trying to match the distinct tone...

"Andy?" I blurted out as the realization came to me. "Wait where's Harry...and why are you answering his phone?" I hesitantly questioned, not sure I actually wanted to know the answer.

Andy gave a mischievous chuckle, "Don't worry your pretty mind about it baby." He spoke with more sincerity then I was comfortable with. My stomach sank at the way he said 'baby' in a belittling sense.