CHAPTER 16: DINNER

*Two days later, a Friday night.*

Uraraka

"This is their song?" Kyoka asked as we walked to the dinning hall at the refugee camp. She was holding a short list that I made for her and her parents, who she said were excited to participate. "It's so classic!"

I shrugged, "They both like music from that era."

I was helping haul the instruments to the building with my quirk; three black cases with two speakers, a microphone, keyboard, a few drums, and a guitar inside. After tying the handles together, it looked like a bundle of metal balloons above us.

"We should have no problem playing it." Kyoka nodded. "My mom knows so many songs I've never heard of."

"And they're cool to play for about an hour?" I asked.

"Are you kidding?" She laughed, "My dad will play all night! I always have to be the one to shut him up. What time did you tell your parents to meet up?"

"7:00." I said, "That way we have a good half an hour to set up the stage, or playing area, whatever we got."

"Sounds good."

We entered the warehouse looking building to find a good amount of refugees already there eating dinner. Mostly youth ages than adults. There must be a recommendation to let kids eat earlier so the adults can eat more in peace. Because some of the group were pretty loud already. I laughed though, they were smiling and having fun and that's all I wanted to see from them.

"Let's set up over there," Kyoka pointed to a spot by one of the walls, away from swinging doors and trash cans. "We shouldn't get in anyone's way over there."

"Cool!" I agreed.

It actually took us a short time to set up the instruments, the young kids watching us intently. One little girl, around the age of seven, came up to us and pointed at the piano. Kyoka and I waited for her to say something, but the girl just stood strong, pointing.

"Did you... want to play it?" I asked.

The girl nodded, still pointing hard at keyboard.

I looked over at Kyoka and she was nervous at first, but sighed and said, "Do you know how?"

The girl nodded again, finally resting her hands at her sides.

"Tell you what," Kyoka stood and put her hands on her hips. "You play something nice and sweet so I can cheek all my volumes. But it has to be a slow song!"

The girl nodded and rushed to the keyboard, hopping up on the chair we placed behind it. She glanced around the keys before finding the power button to turn it on. Then, the girl started playing a cute song that sounded like a lullaby. We could tell she was still learning how to play, but she didn't mess up at all! The melody was well played and even got the other kids to come up and watch. I had to keep them all back, asking them to sit and wait since we still had sound checks to do. Thankfully they agreed, all sitting together on the ground like a class at school.

Huh, I should be a schoolteacher if the hero life fails.

As Kyoka started turning on the speaker and adjusting the nobs on the back, she asked me to walk around the middle of the room and point up or down to pick the volume level. With the building being so big and open, the sound carried surprisingly well. She checked each instrument with the speakers, as well as the microphone volume, and her own speakers she wore on her legs for her guitar. I'm not a band tech, so I don't have the best ear for acoustics and where each one should be at, but after it all sounded balanced to me, I gave a thumbs up.