Chapter Three • Inclusive

René;

I shifted uncomfortably, feeling an ache in my neck and shoulder. My eyes opened and I realized why I was so uncomfortable, I had fallen asleep on the couch. Rubbing my eyes and yawning, I sat up.

The candles had been blown out, the risk of a fire not possible. Sunlight peeked inside from the windows, illuminating the room in a warm yellow. At the opposite end of the couch was Keith, fast asleep. I smiled remembering our conversations from last night, warmth filling me.

Not wanting to wake him up, I got up slowly and headed to the bathroom to freshen up. The grey door shut behind me with a soft click.

Striping quickly I tossed my clothes in a hamper and climbed in the shower. Whilst turning on the warm water I pulled my hair free of its bun and tossed my tie loosely out of the shower.

My shower was brief and warm, yesterday's grime falling from my spotted skin down the drain. Some say taking a shower is symbolic, that taking a shower washes the problems of the day away. A fresh start. If only.

Once dried off I wrapped the towel around me and headed to my room quietly. By instinct, I immediately reached for the baggiest clothes I had. For some reason I paused, my hand hovering over the large long-sleeve shirt. I stared at it for a long while before taking a deep breath and reaching for a shirt that has short sleeves. Smiling, I confidently pulled it over my head and my torso.

Closing that drawer I opened the one under it and pulled out a pair of blue jeans

Closing that drawer I opened the one under it and pulled out a pair of blue jeans. I always preferred blue jeans over skirts, simply because they covered my skin.

Turning to leave my room I shook my head and ran back to my dresser, opening the shirt drawer again

Turning to leave my room I shook my head and ran back to my dresser, opening the shirt drawer again. I pulled out a black long-sleeve and stared at it hard.

A loud knock on my door made me jump. "René, is yous in here?"

It was Keith, wondering where I was. Deciding I didn't have time to change, I stuffed the shirt back into the drawer and closed it. "It's open," I called, granting him permission to enter my room. A place rarely anyone else has been in.